Chapter Nine

"It worked!"  Anna heard a booming, yet feminine voice say in her head.

  The Gryphon stood up, water cascading off of her. She approached Anna, muzzle outstretched gently, like a mother checking to see if it's cub was injured.

"You're alive. We're alive!"  the voice in her head said.

  Anna stared up at the Gryphon looming over her, her mind racing. But she knew enough about the way bonding worked to know what was happening.

  She looked down at her hand. There it was; the scar of the bond.

   When a person finds their bond, a wound is made in the palm of both of the creatures. The wounds are pressed together, wherein the two creatures' blood becomes one; their energies intermixing. A tattoo like scar will appear on the wounds, a different one for each species of beast. A wing for a bird, hooves for hoofed creatures, paws for canines and felines.

  And there, in the middle of her hand, was her mark.

  This one was different than any she had ever seen though. Covering most of her palm, the outside consisted of a large flame, within the fiery outline was a wing, a claw, and a sword.

  She looked back up at the Gryphon.

"You saved me?" It was more of a statement then a question.

"And you saved me, the least I could do was try. Although I must admit I did not think I would succeed in my endeavor."

"So you did it even when you thought it wouldn't work?"

"You had tried to free me, and I almost killed you in return. I owed you my life."

Anna laughed, "Well, consider that debt payed in full."

   She tried to stand, but slumped weakly back into the shallows, letting out a cry, holding her palm to her forehead.

"Easy." the Gryphon purred within Anna's head, "just because your burns have healed does not mean your dehydration has gone away. You must drink water to fix that. When is the last time you have eaten? And what are you doing so far out in the desert, all alone?"

  Anna's head hurt to much to speak aloud, and she knew bonds can telepathically have access to each others memories, so she opened her mind, focusing on her memories of her upcoming exile for being unbonded."That's why,"  she told at the Gryphon.

"Ah, I understand." The Gryphon purred.

"I know of a place, a woman who can care for you. This water in this oasis is not fit to drink unfiltered. And you require food. You are dangerously weak." The Gryphon nuzzled her gently.

  Anna nodded, trying again to get to her feet. This time she succeeded at standing, and walked a few steps. Yet despite that small accomplishment, for the second time that day, the ground rushed toward her, and darkness filled her vision.