Chapter Thirteen

A/N
Hey y'all, I just wanted to check in real quick and thank y'all. I hit 132 reads last time I checked. I know compared to other people that isn't very much. But to me it's so much. I just wanted to let y'all know that every single read and favorite means so much to me. Every time I get more it just makes me smile so big. So thank you.
And I wanted to dedicate this chapter to MalecCarcy1she made a awesome cover, and had been very helpful with commenting. If y'all can check out her book TOTU it's really awesome. Winged people and awesome creatures. I'm loving reading it. And i definitely recommend it.
So anyway, on to the chapter. It's a pretty exciting one. I hope y'all enjoy.

--------------------
  Anna and Rhia stood outside the cave, Rebecca standing next to them.

"I will meet you at the Lost Towers tomorrow morning," said the Oracle. "From there I will lead you to what we call the Garden. It is where we elementals have trained, concealed from the world's eyes."

"How will you get there?" Anna asked.

"I have a horse that will carry me. It was my late husband's bond. But that is another story for another time." Rebecca said, saddening for a split second before masking her grief. "I have some things to finish up here before I head out, so you may as well get a head start. We will meet at day break."

  She gave Anna a quick nod before turning and retreating back into the cave.

  Anna watched her go, then turned, looking out at the desert stretching as far as the eye could see.

  She looked up at Rhia, who had a mischievous look in her eyes. "Ever flown before?" The Gryphon asked.

"Well, not while being conscious." Anna laughed.

"Well, then hop on" Rhia said, her voice full of mirth.

   She crouched down to where Anna could easily climb onto her back.

  Anna carefully hoisted herself up, being careful not to pull her fur. She sat in front of her wings, nestled on the gryphons powerful shoulders, her hands gripping Rhia's ruff.

  "I think we should make a couple rules, like maybe, don't drop the first time flyer. And flying upside down is not--"

  Anna's words were cut off and turned into a scream as Rhia leapt into the air without warning, her powerful wings pumping as they rose into the air, gaining altitude faster then Anna thought possible.

"Not fair!!" Anna shouted after she was able to catch her breath. But she forgot her outrage as the feeling of flying overtook her.

  She had heard from people who had bonded with horses what it felt like to ride on your bond, the feeling of two creatures, becoming one. Now she understood.

  As she rode, she became one with the gryphon. She could feel the great beast's wings beating as if they were her own. She could felt the air currents, the way her wings rode them, how they were lifted by them.

   She felt the absolute freedom of flying.

  She now completely understood why Rhia had felt claustrophobic in the small cave.

  Rhia flew straight up, but Anna had no problem hanging on, they moved as one.

  When they had reached a good height Rhia soared for a while, and Anna lost herself in the feeling. Neither spoke, they didn't need to, they could feel what each other felt, what they thought.

  After two and a half hours of flying over desert, they came across an oasis, stopping to drink.

  Rhia rested in the shade of the trees. Anna sat, leaning against her chest.

  After sitting for a while, Anna stood, stripping her armor and clothes until she was just in her underwear.

   She waded into the cold, spring fed water of the oasis, diving into the deep part of the clear pool.

  The deserts heat was quickly lost in the frigid depths. She swam with her eyes open, taking in the serene, dark beauty of the underwater world.

Silvery fish darted to and fro. Underwater plants swayed back and forth, tugged by unseen currents.

  She was about to head to the surface for air when she saw a darker area farther down, an underwater cave of sorts.

Something moved within its depths, something big.

   It detached itself from the shadows, heading towards Anna.

   Her heart froze before beginning to race. She spun in the water, heading as fast as she could towards the surface.

   Looking down, she could see the dark shape gaining on her. Its shape was indefinite, but it's large eyes and the long fangs bordering its open mouth struck a primal fear within her.

  She had almost broken the surface when she felt something wrap around her ankle. She let out a silent scream into the water, the liquid filling her mouth, trying to fill her airway.

  The creature had begun to pull her deeper when Rhia broke the surface.

   She dove past Anna as she ripped into the dark creature's flesh with her sharp beak, her fangs and claws tearing it.

  Anna's vision began to darken as her air ran out. Her body screamed at her to take a breath in, but she fought against the water trying to force its way down into her lungs.

  The creature, in an effort to defend itself against the crazed Gryphon, loosed its hold on Anna's leg. The instant it let go, Rhia grabbed Anna and pulled her to the surface, into the shallows.

  Anna coughed up the water that had forced itself into her airway, taking in large breaths of air. Rhia collapsed next to her, chest heaving great breaths of air.

  Anna was still trying to catch her breath when the creature breached the water, heading straight at her again.

  She screamed, throwing her hands out as to stop the creature, then she heard a sound like the rush of fire before an explosion, followed by a nightmarish screech of pain, and a wave of heat washed over her.

  She opened her eyes, unsure of what was happening.

She let out another scream, this time of astonishment.

  Roaring from her outstretched palms were two huge billowing pillars of fire, blowing the attacking creature back, making its skin split as the heat seared it, it shrieked once more before disappearing beneath the waves.

  Anna pulled her hands back to her chest, as if she had burned them. But she had felt no pain from the flame. She looked back at Rhia who was staring at her, eyes wide.

"Um, did you do that?"

----------------------

Hey y'all, I'm butting in once again. Sorry. Lol. But I just wanted to tell y'all in case I can't update for a week or so. My dad is having a TV crew come out to our farm to interview him about his book. So we're gonna be in full cleaning mode. And then three days after that I'm getting to go skiing for the first time in ten years. I'm been scratching together money for a bit. I'm sooo excited. I'm just hoping they don't have to end up peeling me off a tree. Lol, y'all be praying for me. So if I don't update for a wee bit that's why. But I plan to write alot in the car trip, Ive done all my writing on my phone, so expect some chapters in a little more then a week. Until then I remain yours truly. JLAB out--