Chapter Sixteen: Are You Gonna Kiss Me Or Not?

The rest of the day I had avoided the rest of my friends and my brother. I spent my day in my bedroom, curled up with a book, which I was now half-way through from reading all day.

  However, when ten o’clock struck, I snuck past my sleeping girlfriends and into Jonah’s bedroom.

  He was just lying there, staring up at the ceiling. We hadn’t talked after the whole incident that had happened today so I knew that now was my shot.

  “Jonah?” I said quietly, getting his attention.

  He sat up and looked at me. “Oh, hey.”

  I sat next to him on the bed and I laid my head on his shoulder. “Lucas was just being stupid today,” I told him, getting to the point right away. “Just ignore what he says.”

  He turned to look at me. “Why do you put up with all the crap he says?” He asked me, his eyebrows furrowed.

  “Jonah, Lucas is my brother!” I reminded him.

  “And I’m your boyfriend,” He replied.

  I took his hand and held it in mine. “Actually, I think that’s something we need to talk about.” I lifted my head from his shoulder and sat across from him.

  “W-wait, you’re not breaking up with me… are you?” He knew just by the words that I said that this was going to be quite the hard conversation.

  “No… I don’t know Jonah,” I whispered. I didn’t mean for my words to come out in such a faint voice, they just did. Almost as if I was scared to say them.

  “Why would you though?!” He wondered.

  “Because… Lucas wants me too…” I muttered.

  “Excuse me? Could you repeat that?” He asked.

  “Lucas wants me to!” I repeated, louder.

  He sighed in frustration. “Lucy, you can’t keep letting Lucas push you around like this! You’re nineteen going on twenty. You have to make your own decisions!”

  I looked at my feet, which were covered with very bright socks. “I know…”

  He tucked some of my hair behind my ear and looked me in the eye. “Do you really want to break up with me?”

  I shook my head. I honestly was having the time of my life being with Jonah. He has been so sweet to me and he could always put a smile on my face. “I don’t want to break up with you. Not at all.”

  “Are you going to break up with me?” He quizzed.

  I shook my head and grinned. “No, I won’t break up with you.”

  He leaned in to kiss me, our lips were about to touch when his door swung open. We immediately backed away from each other. In his doorway there was Maven, dressed in her winter jacket and pajama pants. “Hey guys!”

  “Hey,” We both replied, acting as casual as we could.

  “Hey Maven, I thought you guys were sleeping,” I said, very confused that that wasn’t the case anymore.

  She shrugged her shoulders. “Well, that plan went into the garbage. No one could sleep. So we decided on something: all of us are going outside for a bonfire! You wanna come?” She wondered.

 I looked at Jonah and nodded, so he smiled at Maven and responded with, “Yeah sure!”

  Him and I both got our jackets on. Now our whole group was dressed the same, pajamas and jackets. We all made our way outside and sat near the tree house. While building the tree house, we had decided to make a fire pit so we could have bonfires. We had surrounded the pit with rocks and a few feet away from it we put large leftover wood planks of wood to sit on.