Chapter 3

I ended up setting up the computer and getting everything in order. I placed the pens were I wanted and everything. I kept rearranging things to try to keep my mind off him. The man in the next room. Ryder Stone. The man who almost kissed me, and I almost let him. I bit my lip, secretly wondering if when the opportunity comes up again, if it comes up again, if I should let him.

Since I had been taking care of my family since I was sixteen years old, I hadn't had time for dating. So here I was, nineteen years old, and I hadn't even had my first kiss yet. I was never they type of girl for one night stands, and I would never give my virginity to Ryder Stone, but... maybe just one kiss would be okay?

No no no. I shook my head. I could not think like that. He was my boss. That was, like, the number one rule in the list of things not to do at the workplace. Never have an office romance. Hell, he probably only came on to me because I was an easy target. Something about Ryder came off as a player to me. With his cunning ways and handsome looks and immense power, he was the man ladies dreamed about.

I had no idea what those dreams were like. I'd never experienced them before. I'd never had a reason to.

At around twelve, Ryder opened the door connecting our offices and poked his head in. My eyes widened and I felt my pulse quicken. I was not used to handsome men looking my way, even though this one clearly wanted nothing to do with me now. I bit my bottom lip. A deep, hidden part of me wanted him to be interested in me. The thought of him being with someone else sent an inappropriate wave of jealousy over me. I felt like slapping myself at my stupidity.

"You can head out for lunch. The cafeteria is on the second floor, and you are welcome to anything you find. It's a buffet," he finished, then looked to me for my reaction. His face was set in a stern position, and I was starting to wonder if he ever genuinely smiled.

My eyes widened, in fear. "Um, okay," I answered, slowly getting up from my desk to make my way over to the door. I straightened my skirt, worried about going down there alone. In an attempt to not go alone, I asked, "What about you?"

"I'll come down for a break later. Unless you want some company," he offered, opening the door a little wider. I saw one corner of his mouth lift up, and the small gesture made me grin. If he could quirk his lips, that meant that he could smile.

I smiled kindly at him and nodded. "I would really like that," I said, turning around to bend down and grab my purse off of the floor. As soon as I had it in my hands, my eyebrows shot up. Aw, shit. I just offered him a view of my ass. I quickly shot back up, straight as a stick, and turned around with a flushed, red face. I groaned internally when I saw that he had his eyebrows raised, staring at me. He probably thought I did that on purpose.

"Just give me a minute," he murmured, looking me up and down again, and returned to his cave of an office. I bit my lip, wondering where he was. He seemed to be taking a long time. He popped out a minute later, catching me by surprise. I jumped and turned to face him, where he stood, flushed, and nodded. "Ready?" he said, offering his arm.

I raised my eyebrows in shock. Did he do this for all of his assistants? I didn't know if it was unprofessional, or if it was just how rich people acted, but I accepted him anyway. We stayed that way, arm and arm, until we walked into the cafeteria, where all of my composure was shot to hell. I was reminded of felt like to be back in high school.

***

When we entered the cafeteria's pearly white doors, our arms still linked, every conversation in the room stopped. The previous hum of voices mingling was cut off. Heads swiveled around to stare at us, their piercing eyes cutting through me with their intensity. A few mouths gaped open, and a few gasps echoed throughout the room. I felt like I had done something wrong, and I immediately looked down at myself to make sure I was still clothed. I felt baked beneath their demanding looks, and I wondered why everyone was staring at me. Then, I realized, I was the new girl in the office, a new toy. This was an unveiling of sorts, and I just walked in with one of the CEOs of the company.