Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"I do too, Red. No matter what you believe, so do I."

I gasped, looking at Ryder with wide eyes. I knew that I heard his voice in my head. I just knew it. There was no way I could mistake the low, sexy rumble of his voice. "Did you just--"

"Yes, Lily. I did. And now I need you to listen to what I have to say." Ryder ran a hand through his hair again, his face even more distressed now that he let out that little secret. My eyes widened. He just spoke to me in my head. Ryder Stone just spoke to me in my head. That's like... supernatural. There's no way this is real. I must be hallucinating. There is no way that can happen. No fucking way.

"No, Lily, you're not hallucinating. Just listen to me."

I stared at him, unable to utter a word. I was still in shock from hearing him speak to me in my head, but I couldn't look away from him. I quickly lost myself, though, thinking about how it could be possible that he spoke to me telepathically. I tried to come up with answers, though most were absolutely absurd. Radioactive spiders, witchcraft, a gadget that he planted in my brain when I wasn't paying attention. My mind kept spinning, trying to come up with a logical explanation.

"Lily!" Ryder snapped at me, making me focus on him, and only him. "Pay attention, please," he murmured, silently begging me with his blue eyes. I nodded, still unable to say something intelligent.

"I know you are wondering about this afternoon. I know you are wondering about our connection. I know you have questions about everything, but I need you to know that I am here for you, and I will answer all of your questions." He started, looking at me the whole time. His icy blue eyes softened with every word, until they were almost weeping with compassion.

I shivered, just having his eyes on me making my body tingle in every fiber of my being. I wanted him closer. I wanted to touch him again, but I knew that now was not the time to be thinking about that. Why couldn't I focus like he wanted me to?

"Focus, Red." And just like that, I did. I felt the need to obey, and I couldn't think of anything else but him. My heart rate slowed down a bit, calming myself, and I was able to think more rationally. I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. He could hear every single one of my thoughts?

"Yes," Ryder answered out loud.

"Well, that's embarrassing," I thought, blushing about what he probably already heard me thinking earlier that day.

Ryder shook his head, and smiled at me genuinely to assure me. "Actually, it kind of turns me on."

I gasped, feeling my lower belly clench with anticipation and my nipples tighten. The thought of him turned on turned me on in response. "I still have questions," I continued, trying to get my mind off of it. Now was not the time to be turned on.

"Then ask them," Ryder tried to tell me, but he couldn't wipe the grin of knowing that she was getting turned on off of his face.

"Who is Marlene?" I curled my hands into fists, remembering her rude behavior in the cafeteria, though mine wasn't much better. I couldn't help but feel possessive, and feel the urge to rip her dyed platinum blonde hair out, right from the roots.

"An ex-girlfriend of mine. Wait, scratch that. Crazy ex-girlfriend of mine. My parents hoped we would mate with each other," Ryder said sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

I wrinkled my nose at his odd words. "Mate? LIke... breed? That's gross," I said, not caring if I sounded like a prude. Mating made him sound like an animal, which was a visual that I did not need of Ryder. I had already seen an animalistic look in his eyes this morning when we almost kissed, and if I saw it again, I wouldn't be able to stop myself from coming on to him.