Chapter 13- In the Maze for the Final Time

I'm clutching Thomas's hand as they're swinging back  and forth with the motion of our jog. I'm trying to control my breathing and I can hear Thomas trying to as well. I look over at him to see that his face is scrunched in concentration. He senses my gaze and looks my way, a small smile plastered on his face and his eyes full of encouragement. I can hear the heavy breaths of those behind me. I take a chance and look back. I see some eyes filled with tears, others full of wonder or fear.

We run in silence around corners and holes in the ground. We're getting closer. I can feel it. I can also remember how we got there and I recognize some landmarks and things. It's just around the corner now. Thomas turns, but backs up, putting an arm out which I run into.

"There's one there." He whispers.

"You mean, there's a griever over there?" Chuck asks with wonder and I can see a hint of fear in his eyes as well. Thomas just nods.

"Chuck, you stay behind with Teresa. We'll handle it. I don't want you getting hurt." Both Chuck and Teresa nod in understanding. I put my spear in a fighting position, ready to begin a battle but Thomas stops me.

"(Y/N), you should stay back with them too. I can't afford for you to get hurt. I don't know what I would so with myself if you got hurt, or even killed."

"No! I need to help. You're forgetting that I helped save your asses when we were in the maze that one night. I'm just as strong as you guys are and I deserve to help." I need to stand my ground. I can't have anyone thinking that I'm a helpless little girl. Thomas just looks at me with a sad look but doesn't stop me. I run around the corner. I want to get to the griever first.

"Shit! (Y/N)!" Thomas yells, as I sprint toward the Griever and it begins to come toward me as well, its mechanical arms flailing in my direction. I charge and I can hear the rest of the boys charging after me, Thomas in the lead. My spear connects with the metal, making a metallic sound that meets the whirring the Griever makes. The boys arrive around me, their spears clanking with the Griever as well. We fight as a team and every time I think someone might die, my breath hitches in my throat. Screams fill the space around me, which echo in my ears.

I look back to make sure Chuck and Teresa were still standing back, keeping safe. That was a mistake, because the Griever had used that time to thrust one of its long steel arms in my direction. It connected with my stomach, sending me flying back.

"(Y/N)!" I hear Teresa yell. She surges forward, Chuck running after her but in his attempts to keep up, the machine that we found in the Griever slipped out of his hand and began rolling toward the edge. Chuck ran after it and quickly grabbed it before it could get too far off the ledge. Unfortunately, a Griever was scuttling along the side and Chuck was about to fall, so I reacted fast and rolled, grabbing onto his legs. Chuck now is all the way off the ledge and I'm beginning to go down with him but Teresa grabs onto my legs before I can go down any further. The Griever keeps inching closer and closer.

"Teresa! Quick, pull us up!" Teresa obeys and once I'm up and safe, she lets go and grabs onto Chuck's other leg to help me pull him to safety. Once we're all on our feet, we sprint to the other side, past the boys fighting so hard to defeat this Griever. Teresa stops in front of the door.

"We need some sort of code." She says, punching in a few things to see if they would work. But nothing happened. Just then, an idea popped into my head.

"Hey, Minho!" He nodded in my direction, "What's the sequence of the maze?"

"71528643." He responded, heading back to the Griever.

"Teresa, type that in." Sure enough, it worked. I hugged Teresa, "You did it!"

"Oh please. Not without you." Just then, the boys finished off the Griever and finally noticed that the door hand been opened. I saw Thomas burst through the crowd of boys coming our way. He was running at full speed toward me. My eyes widened as he approached me, still at full speed. He threw his arms around me, pulling me into a hug, knocking me back a bunch.

"Oh my god! You're alive." He said into my hair. I just nodded, savoring the feel of his arms around me, not wanting to let go. But he pulled away, bringing his lips to mine fiercely. We stayed like that for a few good moments. Then pulled away and faced every one waiting by the door. Most of the boys eyes were wide in surprise as Thomas wrapped his arm around my shoulders, and together we walked through the door, ready to face whatever was on the other side.