Chapter 15- Finally Safe?

After the video was done, the screen turned off, leaving us in slight darkness. What the hell was that? What did Ava Paige mean? Why were we immune to some virus? What did this virus do to people? Too many questions that need answering. But how will I get those answers?

"What the hell were those things? The people that are that way because of the Fla-" Thomas began saying, but was cut off by a deep, raspy voice.

"You guys can't leave." Gally stood in the doorway. He looked like he had been stung.

"Gally! You cam-- have you been stung?" Newt asks from beside me.

"Thomas, you took her from me." Gally continues talking like he never heard Newt, except this time, he pulled out a gun and pointed it toward Thomas.

"NO! Gally please, put the gun down." I yell trying to run forward, to grab the gun out of his hand, but Thomas keeps me back.

A shot goes off and I see Minho throw something. Then, another shot goes off. I feel an unbearable pain in my left shoulder. I scream out.

"Thomas?" I  hear Chuck say. I look up and see blood seeping through his shirt. One of the bullets went through Chuck's chest. Tears stream rapidly down my face, partly because the pain is too much to handle, but they come even harder as I watch Chuck fall to the ground and Thomas catch him, trying to soften the descent.

I look across the room to see Gally lying on the ground, a spear in his chest. I looked back at Chuck's body, a pang of grief went through me and I knew that it would take a while for Thomas to recover from this. I look down at my wound and see blood running down my arm and dripping off my fingers, creating a pool beneath me. I gasp, screams and cries echoing through my ears.

All of a sudden, a door opens and a bunch of men wearing black uniforms enter the laboratory. They also wore masks over their faces and had guns in their hands. They began shoving the others out of the laboratory, introducing them to a new world. I feel a hand wrap around my arm and look down to see someone tying a cloth to my wound. They then grab my good arm and tug me forward, taking me out into the new world.

I look back at Thomas, who is being pulled away from Chuck's body. Once I regain my bearings, I continue to walk toward the exit. A wave of sweltering heat washes over me. I squint my eyes, the bright rays of the sun burning my retinas, but I continue running toward the helicopter awaiting us. Once I reach the helicopter, I jump in, sitting beside Newt. Not long after, Thomas jumps in and grabs my hand as he positions himself. It's a little squished, especially being between Thomas and Newt but I can survive.

There's only silence as the helicopter takes off, allowing us to get a glimpse of the maze and Glade, that's in the center of it, as we fly away to a ruined and scorched city. As I lay my head on Thomas's shoulder, I think about how much we've gone through, how many people have died, for us to get to this point, and how much more we have to go through before we can be safe again.