Celtic Moon Months: Rowan Moon

21st January - 17th February

The lunar month of Rowan offers you the opportunity to strengthen your resolve and nurture your dreams.

This point in the agriculture calendar is marked by the ploughing of the soil to allow it to prepare for the seed, and any magic performed now is all about groundwork. The surface of the earth appears barren, but the life force is stirring beneath. Ask yourself what you need to prepare in order to plant the seeds of your dreams this year.

The White Month

The Celtic fire festival of Imbolc (2 February) falls in the Rowan Moon, lending this time associations with the goddess Brigid to whom the festivities are dedicated. Also known as Bríde, Brigid represents the mother of the new-born Sun, and all candle magic is sacred to her. Like the snowdrops peeking out of the ground to greet the goddess, white is a powerful magical symbol during this month. During the Rowan Moon, wear white to cast spells, use white candles and feast on white foods to attune to the season.

The icy landscape of the Rowan Moon sparkles with the promise of what is growing beneath the earth's surface.

The Tree Of Perseverance

The Rowan tree often grows on craggy mountains, higher than any other tree. Its ability to flourish in inaccessible locations teaches you to persevere. The rowan berries reveal a natural pentagram at their base - a symbol of the womb of the Earth Goddess and of protection.

Rowan Charms

Sprays of rowan berries were hung in cattle-sheds throughout the UK to protect livestock from disease and sorcery. The leaves and berries can also be used to make a divination incense and carrying the bark is believed to promote healing in the bearer. The name "rowan" even comes from the same root as the word "rune", in its meaning as a charm.

Rune stones created from rowan wood are especially powerful.