A House

Amunet was given her own quarters outside the palace after she signed away her life. She was still close enough to be watched constantly by Kamilah's guards, but she still felt like she was slightly freer than she was yesterday. She'd never had a home to herself before. It wasn't large or fancy in any means, it was actually rather run down now that Amunet looked at it, but still it was hers. The entire expanse was situated in one room with walls fashioned out of solidified, sun-dried mud from the Nile. A small wall lined the perimeter and a set of stairs were built alongside the side of the house leading to a shaded roof that gave her a good look at Cairo. Inside, a bed had been squeezed close to the wall and a shelf that was decorated with an assortment of items which were adjacent to a small table. It was cozy and fairly dusty, but already Amunet had grown attached.

During her little investigation of her new house, she stumbled upon and obvious letter sitting upon her bed. It was addressed to her and after opening it, learned the sender was Kamilah. After Amunet had told her of her literacy she'd been more than happy to communicate by letters rather than taking the risk of sending her to the palace repeatedly. Amunet quickly unfolded the scroll and began to read.

I've made plans to have you perform at tomorrow night's banquet. You'll be taken to the palace but in a separate area and prepared there. You are not to mention your benefactor or anything or anyone else for that matter. Remember your mission and I look forward to your performance.

Burn this letter after you've read it, The Royal Consort Kamilah

Amunet did as she was order and tossed the scroll into a hastily made fire. She watched the coals consumer the paper and felt her stomach begin to tighten into knots. She'd done many things in her life under the orders of another but never had she'd killed anyone before. Her palms were sweaty and she felt herself begin to quiver. Instead of sitting on the bed, she sunk to the floor and tucked her feet up under her. A multitude of scenarios ran through her head and dozens of ways to approach her situation, however, all of them ended with her being executed. She placed a shaky hand on her chest and tried taking a deep breath. The air seemed to catch in her throat and tears were dripping down her cheeks before she realized the internal turmoil twisting in her chest. She'd thought about running away, but all those resulted in her death as well. At the moment, the pull of freedom had seemed worth the eternal weight of murdering another, but now it seemed to risky. However, Amunet also knew that it was too late to turn away now. She was going to kill the Pharaoh and, in return, she'd gain her freedom.