Chapter 5 - In Which The Corsetter Is The Bearer Of Worse News.

• Dedicat lui Steven Jones

The Command Centre at the heart of Firebird Mansion was abuzz with activity.

Large display screens dominated the main wall and all around, computers were manned by some of the Scarlet Harlot's most trusted friends and workers. Madame Jo-Jo, Autumn Maggot, and Rachel Elizabeth moved between the screens, eyes peeled for anything which might shed light on the situation. Vince, Celia and Lily ran about, providing much needed meows of encouragement. Mr Mepham, the Mayor's aid had just been to deliver disappointing news and Captain Martin of the Watch had nothing helpful to report either. At the centre of the room, a young, pale man with a mane of blue hair sat in front of a large computer screen, his fingers twitching over the keyboard. The Harlot, Mr Mepham and Captain Martin stood behind him, looking grim.

“So what you're saying gentlemen, is that the Mayor has no idea who these creatures are or who is behind this kidnap, there's been no contact from anyone regarding ransom and we're still very firmly in the dark, right? And Simon,” she addressed the young man seated in front of her, “so far, Derrin hasn't brought back any useful information for us.

“I'm afraid so, Miss Harlot. Something appears to be blocking our signals, but I think I've worked round that for now. I will keep you updated as soon as anything new comes in." replied Simon.

“Brilliant. The trouble is, with the city so full of Superheroes and Villains this week, it could viably be anyone with an axe to grind. I know the Dragon Guard and all of Mayor Vee's finest law-enforcers are doing their best but it was inevitable that someone would do something...bad” Her voice trailed off as she racked her brains, staring at the flickering screens ahead.

Simon spoke up again: "I have just heard that we're expecting back-up in a few hours.  Some of the out-of-town Heroes got wind of what's going on and want to lend a hand.  Hawkeye and...um, Thor”

Harlot groaned.  That was just what they needed.  High profile heroes with their armies of squealing fangirls...

Her earpiece crackled and the voice of Tigris came through loud and clear:

“Miss Harlot, I have news. I have captured one who says he has a message for you. I'm bringing him in.”

Minutes later the main doors opened smoothly and the pale Tigris entered, his eyes shining, pulling a man in a top hat behind him, tied by the hands.

Madame Jo-Jo immediately trained her wand on the captive and Autumn Maggot sprang forward, her gauntleted left arm raised to point the powerful laser at him. The Harlot stepped forward.

“I found this man lurking in the dark corners of the Laines, and when I challenged him, he simply stated he had a message for you, Harlot” explained Tigris.

The Harlot nodded. “Speak!” she instructed the prisoner.

To her surprise, the man bowed.

“My Lady. Forgive me, I would remove my hat out of respect but this animal (Tigris growled a warning, fangs bared) has bound my hands. Allow me to introduce myself: I am known as The Corsetter. I bear a message from my most dishonourable, infamous, glorious leader, The Burberry Beast!”

At this name, silence fell in the Command Centre. The Burberry Beast!

The Harlot whispered, eyes wide “No! But she is just the stuff of legend, a story told to children to scare them into good behaviour!”

The man inclined his head in agreement. “Ah yes,” he continued, “But eventually, all legends become truth. Brought to manifestation by the greed, the lies, the evil in this world, she now lives, in the very city you hold so dear! It is she who holds your beloved Lady Phoenix.”

A brief flicker of pain crossed the Harlot's face. The Corsetter caught this and smiled.

“Ah, it vexes you, Lady. The Burberry Beast said it would. She demands this of you: That you come to Bright Helmstone Centre on the morning of tomorrow, to meet your fate.”

The Scarlet Harlot took a deep breath. “Oh, she demands, does she? We shall see!”

Again, the Corsetter smiled.

“Oh, but you will, my Lady. By this token, you will”

His hands flicked and suddenly they were free from their bonds, and cast from somewhere about his person, a single white feather which fluttered and fell gently to the floor between them. One of Phoenix' wing feathers.

The Harlot cried out, and Madame Jo-Jo fired off a spell at the villain, but he deflected it with ease.

“Farewell, Lady Harlot! And a word – never try to bind a man who is the master of the most complex of lacing and knots!”

He swept his cloak about him and as lasers and hexes screamed through the air towards him, he was gone.

As the smoke cleared, the group looked at each other aghast. This was a great deal more serious than they could have imagined. Rumour had it that the Who-D'ii Hordes had been the Burberry Beast's doing and defeating them had taken every ounce of strength the Scarlet Harlot and her companions had. Not to mention the aid of a Sidekick...

Captain Martin spoke first.

“Miss Harlot, the security at the Centre tomorrow will be tight, but none the less with that many Villains present, surely meeting the Beast is ill-advised?”

The Harlot shook her head. “That's as maybe, but I don't see any other option. Besides, it's not like I'll be going in alone. Come, we have lots to discuss”.