V.

Southern Californ-i

<>Sunday<>

I stepped out of my car and made sure no part of my dress was scrunched up or folded over. Putting my phone on silent and stuffing it into the little purse; It was another crisp cool morning but not nearly as bad as how it was during the week. The dew on the lawn glistened as I walked up the small pathway and opened the large dark wooden church doors. 

They creaked at the rusted hinges and some people looked my way while others were more focused on their silent prayers. I walked up the isle to the front most pew and took my seat. I personally didn't care much for going to church, it was peaceful and I love my faith but sitting in a church wasn't at the top of my list. I mainly went because I know it made Dad happy to see me sitting there as he conducted his service. 

I crossed my legs and folded my hands together, resting them on my lap. I could hear the hushed conversations from the women behind me and I was truly surprised at how many people have shown up so far. Today was Dad's first Sunday service at this church and I didn't expect no more than about fifteen people at most. Dad came walking out from around a corner and we all took that as our cue to rise. 

***

"You did great like always, Dad." I said when I approached him after his service. Though his words merely went in one ear and then out the other, I'm sure it touched other people's hearts like he intended. 

"Thank you. I appreciate you getting up and coming down here. What are your plans for the rest of the day?" We walked to the room behind the stage and he motioned for me to hand him a glass that sat on the nearby table. 

"You know I always come to support you and I was probably just going to remain at home. Talk to Mickey and that's just about it." I shrugged, slipping off the black jacket and neatly folding it over my arm. He took a few gulps of water and looked about ten times more relieved when he set the empty glass back down. 

"Alright, if you need anything don't hesitate to call. I need to start prepping for the next service so I'll see you later on." I gave a nod and he gave me a kiss on my forehead before motioning for me to walk back out to the stage. I continued to walk down the isle and right out the church doors till I saw Nicole sitting on a bench just off to the side of the church. 

"Hey Nicole." I said as I approached her. "How are you feeling today?" I was supposed to call her when I got home from CJ's but that obviously didn't happen and then I just forgot all together. She scooted over and motioned for me to have a seat, which I did. 

"I'm feeling better. Malik surprised me by apologizing but that's the last I'll be hearing from him." She pushed a section of her hair behind her ear as she continued to look down at the ground. "I just wish things played out differently, you know?" I nodded. "But how are you? What happened to hitting me up?" 

"I got caught up with homework at CJ's and then just completely forgot. I'm sorry." She looked up at me, not in an upset manor but in a way that showed of shocked confusion. Her eyebrows the slightest bit pushed more together and her mouth twisting at the corner as if not sure to say what she had on her mind that second. 

"How do you even know CJ?" She snapped and I was a bit taken back by the sound of her voice... what was with people having such mean tones out here? All I did was state I did homework with CJ and that I forgot to call, shoot me.

"We have class together and we sit next to each other. Why?" She just shook her head indicating to drop the subject. "What's the matter with you?"

"It's nothing." Obviously not. "Look I gotta go, I see my parents walking over to the car. I'll see you tomorrow if we don't talk tonight." She forced a small smile before standing up from the bench and walking off to her car. I rolled my eyes in irritation. Getting up from the bench as well, I headed back to my car... I didn't want to end up caught in the heat.