XIV.

Southern Californ-i

Nicole

"Your phone cut off or something?" I asked Vanity as we sat on the bleachers in the gym.Today was a rally and it was near the end when she finally showed up.

"No it's on, I just haven't been around it much." She shrugged. "I see your messages and I mean to reply but I just get caught up." She spoke a bit out of breath as she pushed her hair behind her ears and rearranged the way she sat by crossing her legs.

"That's okay. You wanna go to the mall after school?" I've been trying to hang out with her for what seems like forever but every time I ask, there's always some excuse and by now I'm sure she's off her restriction.

"I'd love to but I'm literally still on restriction. My grades have been slipping a bit so that doesn't help ease my restriction. So I have a lot to study- especially with finals only two weeks away. I'm sorry we never get to hang out but my Dad is strict when it comes to school."

"Yet you have all the time to hang with CJ. I understand." I shot back at her and she gave me an odd look. "Don't act like I'm in the wrong."

"First of all, we 'hung out' was because we had a final project to work on. Second, we have english together and sometimes the homework is difficult so we work on it together, my Dad has no problem with that because it's school related. Lastly, I haven't even seen him in the past two weeks." I just rolled my eyes at the nonsense I'm hearing but nod just so she won't go on about it.

"I'm holding it to you that we go to the mall one of these day up it Northern California, deal?"

"Deal." We'll see if you stay true to your word. "So how have you been?" If you had communicated with me, you'd know all that was going on but it takes two to maintain a conversation.

"I've been fine. How've you been? If anything you were glum these past two weeks and now you seem more lifted." She was quiet at first as if thinking what to say and then Jordan came walking over, giving her a side hug and taking a seat next to her. "Hi Jordan." I said.

"Hey Nicole." He said quickly. "How are you two?" Jordan was a kid I personally didn't care for. Another goody two shoes who was more caught up with pleasing his parents than going out to have a good time. There was nothing wrong with that, but he just wasn't a kid I'd consider a friend but he seemed like he'd be right up Vanity's alley.

Vanity is another goody two shoes so the two of them are pretty much a match made in Heaven. That kind of just gave me an idea actually.

"I'm good but excuse me a second." Vanity said as she got up and made her way in the direction of the bathrooms. This left Jordan and I alone which worked in my favor.

"So how did you meet her?" I asked him. I might as well start up a conversation so there wasn't any weirdness between us where Vanity should be.

"In a class and you?" Jordan was a cute kid, I'll give him that. Soft features, a nice  build but he just didn't live it up. I know he had a love for the church and was very smart. He'd be every father's dream for their daughter but he usually kept to himself.

"Around school. What do you think of her? I've known her for a bit and let me say, you two would be perfect for each other. She gets good grades, goes to church and holds herself to high morals. I've known you for a while too so I think I'm right on the dot about this." I said that got him to look down with an almost shy chuckle. "You know I'm right, huh?"

"I don't know about all that, Nicole. Yeah she's nice and not like these other women around here but I see her as just a friend for now."

"They say good guys finish last because they don't jump at the opportunity. I'm not saying you two should run off and get married, but ask her out on a date and who knows, maybe you two could be that missing piece for each other. I'll even put in a bunch of good words for you if that'll help you." Vanity needs to get her head out of the clouds with CJ. He's only going to hurt her like he did to me and she's too nice of a person to be hurt. At least with someone like Jordan, she'll be treated with respect and not just another tally mark.