one

You closed your eyes, trying to ignore the loud music coming from the room beside you. You couldn't make out the lyrics due to the wall separating you, but the bass and the rest of the instrumentals were enough to keep you up. Whoever was inside that room seemed to be rapping along. If you didn't hate the person inside, you'd probably say they were good, but of course you'd never tell them that.

The sky was still dark and it was cold. You shivered, pulling your blanket over your body. You wanted to sleep. Was that too much to ask for? It was two in the morning and you'd finished your paper about an hour ago. You had to get up for work early in the morning and after that you had to get to your class.

The music was the only thing preventing you from falling asleep. Just as you got in bed, the person in the apartment next to yours started blasting music. There was no way you could sleep with that. You groaned and rolled over, hiding your head under the pillow. It didn't help. You sat up and stormed over to the wall and knocked on it a few times until the music was turned down for a moment.

"People are trying to sleep, asshole. Wear some fucking headphones or something!" you yelled. You didn't care if other people heard you, it was for the greater good.

The person on the other side of the wall didn't answer, but the music was left off, so you assumed whoever it was finally decided to be a decent person. You were wrong. As soon as you stepped away, ready to finally get some sleep, the music was turned back on, louder this time.

"You little shit," you growled. You gave up, too tired to fight back. After another hour or two, you finally fell asleep. That resulted in you getting about four hours of sleep that night. Not the worst you'd lived through, but you preferred getting sleep when you had work early in the morning.

When you woke up, you stayed in your bed, motionless, for a few minutes until you processed that you had to get to work. A sigh escaped your lips. You slowly dragged yourself out of bed and got ready. You thought for a moment for leaving the house and grabbed a sticky note, writing something down. You put your pen down and left the apartment. Right before stepping into the elevator, you put the note right above the up and down buttons by the elevator. He probably wouldn't see it, but it was worth a try.

"To that asshole who lives in room 512 and blasts music at 2 a.m: fight me."

a/n: hello children. welcome to another one of my stories. this was inspired by a tumblr post and im trying something new so as you can see, chapters will be short. check out my other stories and please leave comments! they really encourage me and inspire me to write more. that's all. goodbye.