Chapter I: Silly me

♤ Heads up: IMO this chapter is slow and doesn't exactly introduce the characters how I wished it would, but this is my first story. Forgive me. ♤

Jeff's POV

I sat on the couch with my feet propped up on the coffee table, focusing on the sketch I was doodling on my lap. I hummed a tune as I was in a bored state. I was startled by a series of knocks on my back door. "We've got company," I chuckled to myself. I opened the door, holding my knife up, ready to pierce the heart of the creature that stood behind the door. I found myself at a stop.
"I-I'm sorry... I didn't mean to startle you, truly." The guy quickly managed out. Standing infront of me was a guy with black, long hair. His lengthy arms hung at his legs, he had sharp teeth, a swirly cone nose, and wore a black and white clown outfit with black and white socks. For whatever reason, I couldn't form any words. "Well..." the guy looked around, obviously uncomfortable- even I could tell. "My name's Laughing Jack, but you can call me Jack..I guess." He placed his arm on the back of his neck, scratching it with a half smile.
I tried to say something. I needed to say something- and fast- for I was starting to think that the guy in front of me was assuming that I just physically wasn't able to actually talk. The words slipped out of my mouth before I knew it. "M-my name's Jeff th-" I stopped myself, remembering that the 'Killer' part would probably make Jack uneasy. "My name's Jeff." I smiled somewhat forcefully, but at the same time it was general. Jack  returned it with a sincere grin. My face grew hotter when he shot me that smile. I placed the back of my hand on my left cheeck. Huh? It was pretty hot... but why?
   Right now I was really hoping that Ben would wake up. I wasn't good in situations that involved...talking. I heard a groan come from the hallway. My face lit up as I recognized the sleepy Ben's voice. "What's all the talki-" He stopped what he was saying midway and slowly walked to the door where the unfamiliar man was standing with me. Jack introduced himself once more. "Ben. Jeff's roommate." Jack seemed somewhat disappointed when he heard this news, but I couldn't really tell. "What brings you here, Jack?" asked Ben.
   "I actually was looking for a place to stay. I'm kind of new around here. You could interview me or something if you'd like. It'd be weird letting someone you just met stay here.." Jack drifted off. Ben and I looked at each other; we knew what we both were thinking. "How about you come in now. We'll all talk for a bit, get to know each other." Ben replied.
   "Seems fair." Jack smiled and walked inside as Ben and I stepped out of the walkway.

■ Jack's POV ■

These two guys seemed pretty nice, so as odd as it was I didn't feel any urge to reject their offer of inviting me in. We all talked. Jeff told me how him and Ben became roommates. Something came over me when I found out they lived together. I don't know why it happened. Surely I have no feelings for this Jeff. We just met! I couldn't. I don't. "You can gladly stay. I'll show you your room." Ben said as he grabbed a handful of chips. He led me to the hallway. I looked at Jeff out of the corner of my eye. I think I was doing that the whole time I was here. Silly me. Ben opened a door to a bedroom that was quite plain. It had white walls, a bed with blue sheets, light blue carpet, and 2 dressers. I set my bag on the bed and walked back into the living room, where Ben has joined Jeff. "I couldn't help but notice that there's only 2 bedrooms.." I didn't know what my point was when I said this, but hopefully someone would get it. "Jeff can sleep on the couch. He does it a lot of nights, so he doesn't mind." answered Ben. "Nonsense! I can sleep on the couch. This is your house." I protested. "No, no. I don't mind, really." Wow. That was one of the few times I heard Jeff speak today. His voice was pleasant. Kind of soothing, actually. I yawned, "I best be going to bed. I hope the couch really is okay for you. I wouldn't mind sleeping on it. We could switch." "It's fine." Jeff smiled. Well, I think he did at least. It's hard to tell with the carved smile he wears.
That night, I thought about Jeff. What has come over me? I mentally slapped myself and drifted off into a nice sleep..a sleep that contained many dreams of Jeff.