Chapter 8

Naruto's eyes fluttered open as he took in this surroundings. "Are you okay?" Naruto's brows furrowed, the voice sounds familiar but yet it sounds so different. "Sasuke?" Naruto croaked out weakly.
"Yes? What's wrong? Are you feeling alright?" Sasuke blurted out, fussing over him.
"I'm fine." Naruto said as he tried to sit up, Sasuke quickly helped him in the process of sitting up.
"Are you sure? Do you need water or anything?" Sasuke asked, his brows slightly furrowed in worry and it was slightly evident in his voice to his best friend Naruto. Said blond was confused. "Why are you being so nice to me?" Naruto asked, frowning at the raven. He held a hand to the boy's forehead. He wasn't having a fever so it can't be blamed for his weirdness. "What do you mean, dobe?" Sasuke snapped playfully, hoping to get a rise out of the blond.
Nothing. The blond just kept staring at him with a frown. Not even reacting to the multiple dobes being thrown at him. Usually the blond would scream at him saying his name wasn't dobe.
This is bad.
Something is going on.

Naruto gasped as he jolted up from his nightmare. He had woken up from he exact same nightmare each day. It has been two months since the incident and his nightmare started then. It was so horrifying. In his dream, Sasuke had died and Naruto couldn't save him. Everyone then started dropping dead and then their injured corpse would rise up and start staring at him with accusing eyes and start blaming him and talking him down. This was the reason why he rarely slept now a days.
"Good morning Itachi." Naruto greeted as he passed the Anbu. Itachi paused in confusion but the boy just kept walking. The boy looked and sounds so tired. "What's wrong Naruto-Kun?" Itachi asked as he changed his course so he could walk with Naruto. The boy shook his head and kept walking distractedly. Itachi's usually stoic face creased in confusion as his brain racked for any ideas of what could have possibly happened.

Naruto snarled as his hand trembled under the stress of the katana pressing down towards him. Naruto kicked his attacker and chucked the kunai along the way, which caught the ninja in the throat, killing him immediately. He rushed to Sasuke's aid, not caring if his own attackers were coming towards him. Sasuke was priority. This was like his dream. Exactly this scene was how Sasuke died. Sasuke was struggling with his own opponent when another comes flying towards him. Sasuke managed to get rid of the opponent he was dealing with and turned around just to meet with a horrible gut-wrenching sight. A ninja had flew towards him at a quick speed and his body couldn't react fast enough. He braced himself for the impact but it never came. A orange and yellow blob was standing in front of him. "Naruto?" He didn't register that Naruto had a katana through the chest until much later when Naruto had pressed closer, sliding the katana deeper through himself and he punched the ninja, sending the shocked ninja flying towards a tree and the impact was a loud crack of splintering wood and broken neck.
"Naruto!" Sasuke's strangled cry brought Kakashi and Sakura running towards them. Sasuke darted forward to catch Naruto when he started swaying and tipping backwards. He lessened the impact of Naruto hitting the ground but it still hurt Naruto who let out a pained gasp. Blood trickled out from the corner of his lips as he gazed up at Sasuke. "Please don't go. Stay awake Naruto. Please." Sasuke choked out as he held the fragile body close without hurting him.
"I prevented it." Naruto whispered.
"What?"
"You... I knew you were gonna die. I saw it in my dream every night. It was horrible... I realised I didn't want to see you die." Naruto croaked out before coughing which jostled the wound, making him cry out.
"Shh. It's alright. You can tell me later." Sasuke said gently.
"Do you... Know how much it hurts?"
"Shh. It's okay I know..."
"No.. Not this... It hurts when... They look at me like that." Naruto gasped, as he felt his lung collapsing.
"Shhh! Please save your strength!" Sasuke begged, he wanted to know what Naruto meant but not right now!
"They hate me... They're gonna be so happy when I'm gone." A smile cracked Naruto's face. A real smile. A small one but still real, realer than any of his other smiles. "I... I finally did something right." Naruto wheezed weakly.
"No. No. No. Hang in there PLEASE NARUTO!" Sasuke pleaded, as he shook his bestfriend as gently as he could but still trying to get his message across. "I can't live without you! You said you would protect me like how I would protect you! Please!" Sasuke's vision blurred and he felt the hot tears make its way down his cheeks. Naruto reached up weakly to wipe the tears away. Kakashi arrived and was next to them in a flash. Kakashi applied what little healing knowledge he had whilst he pulled the katana out. Naruto jerked once the katana was out. "It's okay." Sasuke reassured as he gently picked up the boy. Naruto was small so it was no issue for Sasuke to carry him. You're going to make it. Naruto is going to make it. Stop freaking out. Stop. Freaking. Out.