Chapter 6 - Photo of Alice

Chapter Six

James fidgeted with his cravat which seemed to be tighter than usual, and itchier. He loosened it, but not so much that it looked sloppy, and then buttoned his coat. He was wearing his finest suit. His shirt was silk and his waistcoat was the colour of gold. His dark coat completed the fine ensemble which was decorated with fine gold thread at the seams.

He sighed as he ran his hand through his dark hair, using his fingers to control the mess that it was. Ordinarily a valet would fix his appearance but Emilia and Sebastian had forbidden personal servant for them as children. He appreciated it, it made him learn how to be self-sufficient. Though now he wished he had a confidante to assure him that he was making the right decision. “You made your bed, James,” he said to himself. “Now you must sleep in it.”

The ball at the Smiths would be no simple affair. The flamboyant family were anything but simple. Sarah’s mother, Diana, was American, and brought into her marriage thousands. American inheritances did not go to the eldest son. They were shared equally amongst the children. But not in England. Although her family were wealthy, Sarah relied on an advantageous marriage to support herself as her brothers would be inheriting the money. Her eldest brother, Richard, was a bachelor and her younger brother, Victor, was married to the daughter of a wealthy baronet and had collected a fine dowry upon moving to her father’s estate in Derbyshire.

James knew it was the right thing to do. At first he’d started courting Sarah so that the mothers in the ton would stop throwing their daughters at him, but now it was almost too late to sever ties with her. It wasn’t fair.

James checked his pocket watch and saw that it was quarter to seven. They needed to leave. He quickly jogged downstairs and found Henry in the drawing room with his father as they awaited his mother’s decent from upstairs.

Both Henry and Sebastian were dressed finely with their dark hair neatly combed. James’ hair was stubborn, much like his temperament.

“Don’t you look dashing, son?” Sebastian grinned as he sat cross legged in a white armchair.

“Even though Sarah is impossible, you can’t deny she’s beautiful. You’re a lucky man,” Henry said, offering some comfort.

“Am I?” James sighed as he collapsed next to his youngest sibling on the settee.

“At least you have a woman who wants you. Not one woman has ever expressed interest in me, remember,” Henry reminded him.

“That’s because you’re shy, Henry,” Sebastian replied. “And women enjoy a man who doesn’t behave arrogantly. You’re still young, son, barely even twenty. You have time to find someone. Besides, your mother couldn’t take it if another one of you left us. Wait a few years.” Sebastian winked at him.

“The girls practically live here anyway, papa.” James shook his head.

Sebastian shrugged his shoulders. “It’s not the same.”

“I’ll be here, papa, I’m not leaving when I marry,” James replied, knowing that his mother would prefer it if he found other dwellings if it meant Sarah moving into Ethridge. The heir did not leave the house, not like the other children.

Before Sebastian could reply, they heard Emilia’s voice chime from the staircase, announcing that she was ready. The three men arose from their seat and made their way into the foyer to receive Emilia.

Emilia looked stunning. Positively breathtaking.

“Have you ever seen anything more perfect in your entire lives?” James heard his father say under his breath, not sure if was actually expecting an answer. The look on his father’s face was priceless. He looked absolutely bewitched by his mother. He looked as though he wouldn’t care if he never ate or drank again, so long as he got to spend that time with his wife, he would be fine. That was what James wanted.