Chapter 7 - Photo of James

Chapter Seven

They stayed in their embrace for a while. Jacqueline’s arms were wrapped around his waist as she settled her head on his chest. James loved the feeling of holding her, of feeling as though he was depended on. He liked feeling needed.

James could tell Jacqueline was not ready to tell him what was going on, even though he wanted to know. She was scarred, and she would open up in her own time to whomever she liked. He was not one to demand she divulge her personal secrets to him all at once.

She wasn’t shaking anymore, she was just holding him, and he her. He could smell the subtle scent of lavender. He presumed the only luxury she spent her money on was scented soap.

James soothingly ran his hand up and down her back until he felt her breathing slow right down.

Jacqueline pulled away from him after another minute and looked to the floor, seeming a little embarrassed. “You should leave, Monsieur Alcott,” she said softly. “Your fiancée will be wondering where you’ve gone.”

James nodded. “I do hope you forgive me in time, Jacqueline. I might not seem like it, but I am trustworthy and if you ever do want to tell me anything, you can. I don’t know what happened to you, but I want you to know that you are safe here.”

Jacqueline’s blue eyes softened a little as a rare smile teased her lips. “You don’t understand, Monsieur,” Jacqueline said simply. “With privilege comes … security. You don’t know what true fear is.” She wasn’t taunting him or threatening him, she was just talking plainly … contently even.

“Perhaps not,” he admitted. He’d never feared anything in his life. He’d been very privileged in life. He’d gone to the best schools, had the finest clothes, attended the fanciest parties – he’d never wanted for anything. He didn’t know what it was like to go hungry or be poor. “But you can tell me when you want to.”

Jacqueline folded her arms across her chest in a gesture of self-protection. “What’s to tell? My tale is none of importance.” She offered him a small smile and turned away from him, walking back down the hallway to her bedroom.

James found himself seeing her into her room, bewitched by her swaying hips and perfectly bouncing curls. James reluctantly realised he had to return to the ball. No amount of tobacco burned that long – that is if Sarah believed he’d in fact stepped out for a puff.

He made sure the door was locked behind him when he left the orphanage. As he walked away from the orphanage he couldn’t help but smile. The little he’d gotten out of her was progress. Even if she was upset with him, she’d still smiled at him. And that small smile was worth more then any woman he’d ever been with because she was worth more then any woman he’d ever been with. Jacqueline … whatever her surname was … was it for him.

It was at least another half hour before he arrived back at the Smith’s residence which was still alive with music and chatter. Nobody noticed him as he slipped inside. The band was playing a lively jig as the guests twirled around in circles with their partners. Surveying the room from where the announcer stood, James saw his sisters standing with his mother having a seemingly intense conversation. That couldn’t be good. Henry was on the dance floor with a young lady he didn’t recognise and his poor father was standing with Sarah’s parents no doubt talking about how much money they could get out of him for the wedding. But where was Sarah?