Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen

"This is absolutely ridiculous," Emilia seethed beside Sebastian once they had retired to bed that evening. The look on her son's face after he'd returned from the prison that evening was permanently etched into her mind. James had always been a carefree bachelor with a lady on each arm but ever since he'd met Jacqueline ... or rather Alice ... he'd changed. He'd become more responsible and considerate and concerned for others besides himself. She'd seen a changed man, one she could admire. But she could not live with herself if that broken hearted look on his face was permanently there. "We must be able to do something!"

"I know you want to, Em, but we can't. There a rules in place for a reason. Though she's a sweet girl, Alice was part of a rebel uprising that was deemed illegal by the powers that be. Though we may not agree with how the situation was handled, there is nothing we can do."

Emilia threw her head back into the pillows and sighed sadly. "What if James tries to hurt himself?" she asked him, turning towards him. "It's been known for someone with melancholia to try to end their lives. What if our son does something to himself? I couldn't bear it!" She didn't want to, but she could see herself grieving her son. The thought was black ... filled with despair. She wouldn't do it. Children were meant to outlive their parents for a reason. "I think we should try to pay her way out of prison." She was perfectly serious. Things like that happened, didn't they?

Sebastian groaned. "Em, that's just asking for trouble. I know you want everything to work out but sometimes they don't. James will be alright. He's your son, isn't he? That means he's stronger than most." He leant over and kissed Emilia on her temple before settling into bed. "I love you."

Emilia was still fuming, fuelling her fire on worry and anger. "What would you do if I were executed?" she asked him, wanting a reaction. She wanted help.

Sebastian's head snapped up as he glared at her with her dark blue eyes. "Don't entertain such thoughts," he snapped. "I won't have it."

"What would you do?" Emilia persisted. She'd never been one to obey Sebastian anyway. "If I was sentenced to death and there was nothing you could do about it."

Sebastian swung his arm behind Emilia and pulled her into his side. She enjoyed the closeness when she was so angry. "I would find a way to prove your innocence," he replied quietly.

"So how do we do that for Alice?" Emilia liked Alice's real name. It suited her. It was delicate and sweet, yet one could tell she had fight in her.

"She's been accused of murder within the French Revolution. I'm sure they would have a record or a leger of some sort that listed all the wanted rebels or all the known rebels. If we sent a missive on to Paris inquiring after proof then that could possibly stall her being sent back to France. The British authorities won't send a girl to her death without evidence."

Emilia beamed as a fresh ray of hope shone down on them. She kissed him quickly on his surprised lips. "I knew there was a reason as to why I married you."

Sebastian scoffed. "And you're only just realising it now?" He placed another kiss on her temple. "There is hope, Em, but if that missive comes back saying that her name is on the list of rebels then we can't do anything else."

Emilia knew that. She knew there was every possibility that they might lose in the end but she couldn't allow herself to give up. Not when there was an innocent girl was accused over murder.