Chapter 9 (Shayne's POV)

11:23pm

"JOSH!!!" I scream as he falls.  Then he vanishes into the trees below us.  Gone.  I grabbed onto Wes's leg as he fell, even though I'd noticed Josh slipping below me.  And now he's gone.  There's no way he survived that fall.

            "Holy shit." I hear Wes whisper, and I know he must be hurting.  He knew Josh way better than I did.  But right now we need to get out of here.  The only thing keeping us alive is my foot being stuck, and I don't know how long that will hold.  I look for an escape, and my gaze falls on an opening in the cliff face.

            "Wes, look!" I point it out to him.  It's a good ten-foot jump, but it's the only way I see.  "I'll swing you over there, but you have to jump."  He looks up at me and nods, clearly still in shock.  I start to swing, and the tower creaks ominously.  "Three...two...one!" I say, and let go.  Wes pushes off the tower, and just manages to get one foot on the ledge, grabbing the side of the opening so he doesn't fall.  Phew.  Now it's my turn.

            I lean up to get my foot out of my shoe.  Once it's free, I drop my feet so I'm dangling by my hands, clinging to the iron bars.  I begin to swing back and forth.  On the third swing, I let go and push off the tower.  My push wasn't as good as Wes's.  I fall just short, but manage to get a hand around the edge of the opening.  Wes grabs my arm and pulls me up.  We collapse to the floor, and I lean against the wall.  Safe.  There's a final creak and the tower plummets to the ground below us.

            "Josh." Wes whispers.  He's in shock, but we need to get out of here.

            "Wes, we gotta move." I say.  I grab his hand and pull him upright.  I face the dark space ahead of us.  I switch on my flashlight, and see it looks like an abandoned mine.  We start forwards through the labyrinth of tunnels, but have no luck in finding any way to the surface.  I have a bad feeling about this place.  I know it's not just a hunch when we stumble across deep lashes in the stone, like claws.  I shudder, and we walk the other way.

            After some time, I hear footsteps.  I hold my arm out to stop Wes, and we listen.  They're coming from our right, so we head left.  I don't want to encounter anyone in these tunnels.  We continue away from the footsteps, but they always seem right behind us.  I don't care who it might be, because there's no reason anyone else from the lodge would be in here.  More likely it's whatever made the claw marks in the stone.

            Finally, we reach a dead end.  Dammit.  I turn around and grab a stone, because we have no other choice.  There's nothing else to fight with in this tunnel.  Wes does the same, and we wait as the footsteps grow louder.  And finally, the human shape rounds the corner.

A/N: Annnnnnnddddd...

I'M 16!!!  Today's my bday! 🎉🎉🎉

Apparently my fam's surprising me by taking me somewhere secret for dinner :)

Plus, you guys all gave me an amazing bday gift! This story has 250 reads after only 2.5 weeks! Thank you so much!

-Smoshgamesgirl_27💙