Chapter 33 (Courtney's POV)

6:50am

I can barely look at the mangled mess of Wes's leg.  I don't have a clue what the Wendigo did, but I can see right down to the bone in places.  I'm struggling not to throw up, but it's tough.  Wes looks like he's in a ton of pain.  I haven't moved him from where he laid down after I helped pull him up.  For the third time of the night, I take off my shirt – though this time I was smart enough to put on a sweater over top, so I still have something to wear – and I wrap it tightly around his entire leg.  It does nothing to staunch the bleeding.

         "Courtney." Wes's pained voice takes my attention.

         "Shut up and save your energy." I reply through gritted teeth.

         "Get out of here." he says.  "It's not worth it."

         "Stop." I leave his leg and crawl up to his head.  His eyes are fluttering, like he's struggling to stay awake.  I can't do anything to save him, and he seems to know it.  I brush all of his hair off his face, and his eyes close.  I don't leave though, just sit there and watch the rise and fall of his chest.  I only have to stay for five minutes or less before it stops.  I don't even notice the tears sliding down my face until I wipe them away.  Because now I'm on my own.

         I stand up and look back across the opening in the ground.  The last Wendigo is there, perched in a tree, watching me.  I just turn and walk away.  I'm not afraid of it.  I don't even care if I die.  Maybe that would be better.

         Movement off in the distant sky catches my eye.  Two spots of darkness.  As they grow closer, I see they are helicopters, coming to rescue us.  Except there's no 'us' left.  Just me.

         I hear I light thud behind me, and turn slowly.  The Wendigo is there; it probably jumped the gap.  I stay perfectly still for a moment, but is it really worth it?  So I step towards it.  It screams.

         How many people have I watched die tonight?  Too many.  Wes, Keith, Noah, everyone.  And Washington, too, I suppose.  I take another step.  This time, the Wendigo doesn't hesitate.

         It leaps at me and knocks me to the ground.  I feel its claws wrap around my throat.  The last thing I see is the sun peeking over the horizon.  The last thing I hear is my familiar 7:00am phone alarm going off.  I guess I forgot to turn it off.

         Then the weight of the Wendigo vanishes and I snap to attention.

A/N: Yeah I know this is a very short chapter, but it's the second last one! You'l have to read the next (and last) chapter to find out what happens. Also, I'm super happy that I managed to recover all my missing files. Phew!

-Smoshgamesgirl_27