Chapter Four

"Kariann and Taylor Swift are acting weird." Kimby brings it up in the middle of an intense tennis match she and Karlie are partaking in. Both are the best Wii tennis players in the house, so they're going head to head to see who will hold the title of champion. Karlie's actually worked up a bit of a sweat.

"Stop trying to distract me." She says through gritted teeth, preparing to serve the virtual ball.

"They've been whispering to each other since we started playing." Kimby continues.

Karlie serves the ball, ignoring Kimby's words. She can't afford to get distracted. Karlie cheers when she wins the match, bringing her one step closer to ultimate victory. Kimby curses harshly and adjusts her grip on her Wii remote. Karlie taunts her while the next match starts up. She does happen to glance over at the couch where her girlfriend is sitting, though. Taylor is sipping on a cup of tea with Meredith resting between her and Kariann. The two are indeed having an intense conversation, their voices low and their faces turned away from the others. It looks extremely suspicious. Christian is sitting on the floor by Taylor's feet with Olivia curled up in his lap. The rest of the boys are scattered around the den, cheering on whoever they favor to win.

Karlie almost misses the start of the match, Kimby taking advantage of her being distracted. She no longer has time to think about the odd behavior Taylor and Kariann are exhibiting.

Kimby wins the second match, and it all comes down to a tie breaker. Victory is within Karlie's reach but then it slips through her fingers. Kimby is on her game point, with Karlie trailing behind by one. Her sister 'accidentally' bumps into Karlie's arm while she's serving, and the tennis ball ends up going out of bounds, giving Kimby an automatic point. It's the end of the tournament, and Karlie watches in shock as Kimby's stupid Mii character celebrates on the TV screen.

"You cheated!" Karlie accuses while Brandon and Tommy cheer. They had been the only ones pushing for Kimby's victory.

"It was an accident." Kimby shrugs innocently before turning away to high five a smirking Brandon. Karlie glowers and then hands her controller over to Eric, who's about to face off against Mikey in a game of bowling.

She plops down onto the couch next to Taylor, who finally turns her attention from Kariann. She gives Karlie a sympathetic smile and then rests a hand against her clenched jaw. Her fingers are soft and warm, and Karlie finds herself melting into the familiar touch. The petulant pout on her face falls away when Taylor leans in and gives her a sweet kiss. Karlie's eyes slip shut of their own accord. The kiss is a simple meshing of lips but she feels the pull of desire in her stomach telling her to deepen it. Taylor shies away first however, and Karlie is left pouting for an entirely different reason. She glances around and sees the reason behind her girlfriend prematurely breaking their kiss. Kariann has gone over to sit with Kimby and Brandon, and all three are pulling faces as they glance at the couple. The rest of Karlie's cousins are completely oblivious, or just don't care, but it's enough attention to make Taylor shy.

"Let's go upstairs." Karlie says it quietly, keeping it just between the two of them.

"We promised your parents that we would respect their house."

"Let's go do it in the garage then."

Taylor scrunches up her nose and lets out a sharp laugh before falling into a fit of giggles. She shakes her head but when Karlie gets to her feet and pulls Taylor up with her, she doesn't resist.

"We're going for a walk." Karlie announces as she leads a red faced Taylor out of the den. The little kids don't think anything of it, but three pairs of knowing eyes watch them as they go.