Another Army

The night grew colder than ever. It had been two weeks since I decided to join the avengers and honestly, everything was going really well. Tony and I had been in the midst of creating a new suit and Steve was training my combat abilities. I allowed Bruce to reopen the tech and get all of the cloning crap out of it, the injured army of Lutes's were all sent to the hospital, at least the ones that survived.

"This is the place." Tony smiles, holding the door open for me.

His injuries were healing fine, and I still hasn't told him of the miscarriage. Tonight was the night though, he's been under the impression that our beautiful child was growing inside of me. It probably why he was taking us out for shawarma.

I watch as Tony scarfs his food, meat hanging from out of his mouth.

"Sorry, the pain meds make me really hungry." He apologizes with his mouth full.

"It's.. Alright." I tuck my hair behind my ears and pop my lips.

"Now, excuse me, but, we've won an awesome battle and you and I are finally dating, which I'm sure you've dreamt of since you were in diapers. Anyways, you seem off."

"One, ew. And two... I.. Am off."

"Please don't tell me you're a lesbian." Tony laughs sarcastically.

I knew he was in a good mood, cracking stupid jokes, I almost didn't want to ruin it.

"Also, aren't pregnant women supposed to be starving all the time? I want you to put on at least 60 pounds. Between you and me, I like meat on a girl." He winks, still joking.

I didn't want the conversation to turn so serious but, I outed.

"Tony.. I.. Our.. Our child didn't make it. The battle was.. Too rough and.. Ultron smashed me to the floor-"

I watch Tony stand up quickly.

"Excuse me." Tony walks slowly to the bathroom and I can see his arms shaking.

What if he doesn't want to be with me anymore? I just hid that from him for weeks... I wish we could've talked normally about it but, I guess it wasn't really normal.

I had mixed feelings about the miscarriage, but here I was, getting passed it, and here Tony was just figuring it out. I screwed up.

Tony comes back from the bathroom and sits down.

"I just.. Really needed to vomit." He smirks slightly and his face goes straight again.

He wasn't digging in anymore, just poking at the lamb with his fingers. I feel his other hand slide onto my thigh and he looks up at me.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't sure how to te-"

Tony shoves some meat into my mouth and I instinctively chew.

"I'll- yeah. I wouldn't know how either..."

We sat in silence again and I feel Tony's grip tighten.

"So, why don't we.. Try again?"

I feel goosebumps trail along my skin.

"Really?" I can feel my face glowing.

His words were exciting and I couldn't believe they were coming from the Tony Stark. The bachelor wanted to settle down.

With me.

"Yeah. I mean. We need a little Tony. It's essential."

"Alright well, I'll make an ovulation sched-" Tony presses a finger to my lips.

"Just because I've known you forever doesn't mean I want to hear about your period. Just.. Tell me when we have to.. You know." Tony smiles sheepishly, still woozy at the thought of the miscarriage.

"Yeah. Okay. Sorry. I'm just.. Excited." I shrug.

"We better get headed back. Pepper will be at the tower in a few minutes."

"Pep? You hired her back?"

"I wasn't the best to her. She's not the first ex girlfriend to try and kill me."

"She might not be the last." I chuckle.

We pack ourselves into the car and Happy drives us back to the avengers tower. The car ride was still more than silent, I knew Tony was hurting but man, he was really good at hiding his feelings.

"Mr. Stark. Ms. Bentland." Pepper greets, smiling as she holds the door open for me.

I wrap my arms around her, giving her a tight hug.

"Oh. I... Heh." She wraps her arms around me as well.

"I'm glad you're okay."

"Alright, enough reunion, Pep, come upstairs so I can fill out the paper work your ex boyfriend blew up."

Tony and Pepper head up to his office and I stay down in the lobby with Happy.

"I'm going to marry her someday." Happy say, watching Peppers strut.

"Didn't know you were into blondes."

"I'm into brains." Happy smiles, heading back out to the car.

I stare around me, surprised at how dark the place was when no one was here. The lab was definitely calling my name, then again, so was bed. I just let so much off my chest and the anxiety from that was actually exhausting.

"Hey!" I hear Bruce shout behind me.

"Hey Bruce, what-"

"Come with me."

"O-" Bruce grabs my wrist tightly and pulls me down stairs, down to the lab.

"I need to show you something..."

"Last time you said that-"

Bruce rolls his eyes at me and presses slap few links on the screen, an audio recording pulling up.

"If you're listening to this, then you think you've defeated me. But there's a whole lot more to genetic modifying than you would guess. I may not exist, but there is a project in the works, under your noses. Ms. Bentland, I've created another army. Every breath you take, every word you say, everything you learn, they'll reciprocate. I will get my revenge. And this army will be stronger than ever before. We'll see you shortly."

Lutes...