six; hospital

(A/N - if there is no name at the top the story will be in Olivia's perspective.)

After getting home at around 4:00pm I pulled out my sketchbook and sat on the porch steps, drawing a person, the face stared blankly back at me, I had tried to draw features on it but I couldn't get them quite right, they just didn't suit the face. I sighed and closed my sketchbook before returning into the house. Mom was sat knitting a scarf while a television program blared in the background.
"Liv, I need you to take some things up to Derek in a couple of weeks, would that be okay? I've just got his birthday present to give him and a few clothes." She smiled.
"Of course mom" I smiled back.
I poured myself a glass of orange juice before going into my room, my record player was at the foot of my bed but I wasn't in the mood to listen to music, I had read all afternoon so I wasn't in the mood for that either. I lay down on my bed before closing my eyes. My mind was blank and I almost immediately dozed off. I woke up about an hour after to hear yells filling the house.
"Olivia! Help!" My moms voice rang through the house.
I sprinted out of my room to see her sat in her wheelchair, a look of agony on her face as she clutched her side.
"Mom! Mom what's wrong?" I asked, kneeling beside her.
"It hurts, my side, it hurts" she yelled. It was clear she was in an immense amount of pain.
"Okay, we're going to get you to the hospital" I said, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear.

I wheeled her into the car, cries of pain escaping her mouth every so often. We pulled up at the hospital and I rushed her in. Some of the nurses that were regulars wheeled her away, telling me everything was going to be alright. After mom was out of sight I raised my hands to my forehead, tears in my eyes. She had been getting worse, we all knew it, dad, Derek and I and the nurses at the hospital. I walked outside to one of the pay phones, I rang dads work number, hoping he would pick up. It rang a couple of times and then I heard his voice.
"Dad, it's mom, she's back in hospital" my voice shook and I could feel tears coming down my face.
"Oh god, Liv I'll be there as soon as I can" he sounded frightened.

Dad arrived about forty five minutes after the phone call. I had been sat in the waiting room, fiddling with my hands. He rushed in and soon spotted me, he swiftly walked over to me and embraced me in a hug, holding the back of my head while I cried into his shoulder.
"It's okay, shhh, it's okay" he whispered in my ear.
I continued to cry, not caring about all the other people staring at me, some looked at me with sympathy whilst others had their own problems to worry about. I went and sat down in the chair I had been sat in before and dad sat next to me. He kept pacing up and down and asking nurses if they had heard anything. All we knew was that mom was having an operation, they knew her condition was becoming even worse and they wanted to get the surgery done as quick as possible, and then they would run more tests. I leaned my head onto the cold, hospital wall, closing my eyes.

I must have dozed off for a while because I woke up, when my shoulder was being lightly shaken.
"Liv, you need to go home" my father spoke.
"No, I'll wait, it's fine" I said, groggily.
"No, I want you to go home, I'll call you if I get any news" he stated.
"Fine" I replied, walking out of the doors.
I drove home in silence, listening to my own breath and the hum of my car engine. When I got home I crawled into bed, not bothering to get changed. I remember briefly looking at the time which read 03:46 and then falling asleep.

I woke up at 10 in the morning and walked to the kitchen, making myself a cup of coffee. I sat at the kitchen counter, staring blankly at the wall. We all knew she had been getting a lot worse lately but none of us thought it was going to result in another surgery. I could feel tears pouring down my face and wiped them away with the back of my sleeve. After showering and making myself look reasonably presentable I drove to the village for art class. It was Saturday morning so there were a few families walking around. I walked over to the small workshop and sat down in my normal spot. A few minutes later Beth walked in, smiling like usual. She came and sat on the right of me, placing her things down on the table.
"Hey Liv! How are you darl?" She asked.
I looked up at her and gave her a sad smile.
"Not good, moms in for surgery again" I replied.
"Damn, again? I thought she was doing good?"
"Obviously she wasn't doing as well as we thought" I shrugged.

I was focusing on the blank piece of paper that sat in front of me, my emotions were out of control and I had to keep wiping my eyes with my sleeve to make sure I didn't start full on bawling. As I stared at the paper I heard someone walk through the door, loud footsteps could be heard throughout the entire room as the person sat down.
"Sorry I'm late" he spoke.
Joey.
I looked up and caught him staring right at me. I gave him a small smile and he returned it, waving his hand in the air and accidentally knocking the guy on his left.
"Hey watch it man" the guy spoke.
Joey rolled his eyes and laughed it off, making me giggle a bit.

About forty five minutes into the lesson I felt a nudge from Beth.
"Who's he?" Beth leaned over and whispered.
"A friend of Derek's, he goes to Regis" I whispered back.
"Well, he's totally into you" she smiled, nudging me in the arm.
"What? Of course he's not" I replied, I could feel the redness creeping onto my cheeks.
"Um yeah he is, he hasn't stopped staring at you this entire time" she laughed.
I looked up and to my utter disbelief saw that Beth wasn't lying and Joey was in fact staring straight at me. His cheeks turned Crimson and he looked away, staring at his clasped hands.
I smiled and looked down at my own drawing, a cold, empty hospital room.

A/N - Hey everyone! I am so sorry for not updating, I've been super busy with school and everything going on and I've been having sport team trials and graphic design assignments that take forever to do. I'm going to try and update again soon because I'm really loving this story, hopefully you guys will understand if I don't! Thank you so much for over 100 reads, I know it may not seem much to you guys but I'm so thrilled. Thank you to each and everyone of you, have a great day or night!!
Sincerely

fallingforphelan :)