Old Time Inspiration

Chapter 5

I followed Jared's car for no more than 20 minutes when he pulled into a private road. The only sound was the crunch of the gravel beneath the car.

I smiled, knowing exactly where we were headed. At the end of this road was Jared's place, the farm. We spent more than half our childhood together here, playing in the fields, or investigating the tress that surrounded the edges. It brought back so many memories and immediately took my mind of things.

We pulled to a stop and we both got out, smiling at each other, thinking the same thing.

"Wow."

"Brings back a heap load of memories, doesn't it?" He asked.

"Sure does." I responded.

"Come in, Em." Jared said from across the driveway, walking towards the front door.

I followed him in and took in the inside of the house. Similar to mine, nothing much had changed. It was still in desperate need of a paint job.

He grabbed my hand and pulled me through the house to the back door, which opened up to a breathtaking view of the fields. You could see cows, sheep, a chicken coop and a huge wheat field which stood directly in front of you.

"How about meeting some old friends?" He smiled, staring off into the fields.

I followed him, confused, but happy to go along.

We reached the cows where he jumped the fence, which I copied. We walked over to a brown and white cow that I instantly recognised.

"Dragon!" I exclaimed the cows name enthusiastically, reaching across and patting the bored-looking animal's back. I looked over at Jared to see he had a grin to match my own.

Dragon may seem like an odd name for a cow but I promise, there is a story behind it. Most of Jared's animals don't have names, they are known by their ear tags, which have numbers to identify them by.

When Jared and I were kids we played princess and the knight, where I would save him from the evil dragon (okay fine, it was the other way round).

For a long time the dragon was just imaginary until one day when we were playing in the cow paddock Dragon got in between us, where the imaginary dragon was supposed to be.

We giggled at the thought of that cow hurting a fly and from then on that cow would play the evil creature, even though she was far from it. The poor thing endured many hours of having its face bashed by a flimsy cardboard sword. Seeing as she didn't already have a proper name, we named her Dragon, and it stuck.

"This poor old cow is still here." I joked.

"Well someone had to give this knight something to do, especially while the princess was away." Jared grinned, giving the cow a pat. "Dragon, you remember your old pal Princess Emily, don't you?"

I did a small pretend curtsy.

We laughed and I found my eyes on  Jared's lips for a little while longer than they should have been.

"Seriously Em, you've been gone too long, not that much has changed." He says solemnly, in all seriousness.

I sigh. "I know J. But you've changed." Then to lighten the mood I add: "And I'm pretty sure I see some wrinkles on Dragon's forehead!"

He laughs again and we give the old cow one more look before heading back towards the house, walking beside each other.

A/N

Hey people
Super sorry it was so short. I promise the next chapter will be longer. Thanks so much if ur reading this, please vote.