chapter 5: Lunch with William part.1

The bell just rang for lunch and I am internally freaking out as I walked down the hallway, towards the library. I don't know why, but I am. My palms are sweaty and my heart's beating a million times faster than it should be. I mean, I shouldn't be this nervous; I'm just going to hang out with William, it's not like it's a date or anything. I could understand going this crazy over a date, but over just hanging out? No. Over just lunch? No. Over William? Yes.

Okay. I think I just found the problem. Well, no, no problem. William's definitely not the problem because he's great. It's me that's the problem and me that I'm worried about.

The conversation we had early was embarrassing, with me stumbling over my words and acting shy. I don't want that to happen this time; I really don't want to look like a loser in front of him. I want him to like me, not think I'm completely lame.

I'm almost to the library now; it's just up ahead. Oh, god. Deep breath in...slowly let it out. Deep breath in...Okay, I can do this. I think. No, no. I can. I can definitely do it.

I yelp as someone suddenly grabs my arm and pulls me into an alcove of lockers. Wincing and rubbing the bruised area, I look up at my assailant only to see Alex standing in front of me, looking agitated. My eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"What's wrong?"

"Do you think I'm too flirty?" He asked sounding sincerely distraught.

I blink at him a few times, wondering if I heard him correctly.

"What ?"

"Am I too flirty? Like...when I talk to a girl, do I try to hard?"

"Um... I don't know..." He said looking at him oddly.

What the hell is he talking about? And how the hell would I know if he was too flirty?

Alex makes a strangled noise, pulling at his hair with both hands, and then starts pacing back and forth. I watch him for a minute, becoming even more concerned for him and his sanity. Oh. And I'm panicking a little myself, since I'm supposed to be in the library with William right now. I don't want him to think that I stood him up, but I can't just leave Alex here when he's so obviously distressed. What kind of person would I be if I did that?

So. I'll help Alex out and pray that it doesn't take too long and that William is still in the library by the time I get there.

"Dude. What happened?" I asked grabbing his arm.

Alex grimaces a little then takes a deep breath before beginning.

"Okay. So you know that Goth girl? The one with all the purple that I bumped into yesterday? Yeah, well. Her name's Audrey. And I talked to her today."

"That's great!" I said grinning at him.

But when he shakes his head at me, I stop and frown confusedly at him instead.

"Okay. It's not great. Why is it not great?"

"She doesn't like me."

He looks despondently down at the floor.

"I mean, we only talked for about five minutes, but first impressions are everything, right? And well...apparently I was trying too hard."

Alex laughs bitterly and looks back up at me.

"She told me that, too."

I grimace sympathetically.

Alex nods with a small sardonic smile on his face. It abruptly falls away, only to be replaced by a panicked expression.