Voik

I could not believe what has just come out of his mouth.
He said Voik had given it to him? But why?

"Why?" I voiced out my question, fresh tears leaking from my eyes.
He grinned at me then reached inside his jacket to pull out something.

It was the contract.

"It's mine now and so are you" he said while smiling then left me to my thoughts taking the contract with him.
Though it may sound ridiculous to give sign a contract that entitles everything that you have and everything that you are now belongs to the other person, it isn't nowadays. The government had made it so it was easier to trust your partner and it didn't allow that anyone could cheat on the other as it was punishable by law.
It all depended on who asked who out and the one who asked would have to sign a contract and it had taken a lot of courage for me to ask Voik out. As it is said there are only three contracts given to a person when they are fifteen, after that you can only go out with three people but during that cheating on the other is not permitted and the one who asked out of their own volition give themselves up to their partners but it is mostly the females who give up their rights and not the males. Voik had not done that for me but I had not mind even though I loved him I knew that we might have separated since I was his first girlfriend and he was mine.

After using all three contracts by the age of 20 you are eligible to choose the person you will stay forever, your marriage partner.

Even though I was overcome by grief from Voiks death I wanted to be free. Even though I'll never admit it to him, Luster terrified me and I feared what he would do to me though he couldn't force me to do anything intimate he could do other things to me.

I sighed fed up with myself in wallowing in Voiks room. 'I'll have to face him sooner or later' I thought and proceeded to go downstairs, time I get on my big girl pants and head out.

I walked all the way down the stairs and headed to the living room, I sighed despair curling inside me I didn't want this, it's unfair. Why would Voik do this?

Even though the three of us have been friends since preschool I could never guess what was going on in Voiks head. It was hard to read him considering he was always calm and had that easy going smile on his face but I saw him snap once when I was younger, both him and Luster but I can't recall it nor do I know the reason they were pissed off.

I exhaled then opened the door and walked in, Voik's body was still in the casket and his family litters the floor, they surrounded his body and I saw Luster sitting next to it his expression was filled with woe.

I averted my eyes, I didn't want to see Voik's still body, empty, pale and lifeless.

I couldn't yet face that he was gone and would never come back. I lifted my eyes from the floor and locked eyes with Luster, he got up and left the room.

"Cecil" I turned around to look at the person who called me, it was their mother and she looked worse than me. Though I know why it was her son after all and he's gone.

"Yes?"

"Come, sit next to me" she patted the empty spot next to her and I walked over and say next to her. "Luster told me" she said her voice stiff and scratchy different from her regular sweet and kind voice she usually had and her eyes wouldn't be red rimmed and have tears running down her face.

I didn't get what she meant by Luster told her, he told her what?

"About what?" I asked her confused showing on my face. Both the twins would tease me that I was an open book but Voik never noticed my feelings until I told him. He was dense when it came to romance and all those things, Luster had noticed that I liked Voik but he never mentioned it or told Voik, from what I know.

"About the contract darling" she said and touched my face, "I don't know why he would do that but don't worry about anything" she said then let out a sob as she looked at her son's lifeless body. She didn't say his name, it must still weigh down on her.

Everyone did love him, from my point of view I always saw as Voik as the light and Luster as the darkness, two opposites. But I couldn't believe her right now, not at this moment when his death is still fresh to me and I fear Luster because of what he's done to me through the years and I can't believe that things will be alright. Not as long as he holds my contract I won't believe things will be alright. So I simply nodded and smiled at her then left making sure not to look at Voik's body because I'm sure I would hurts out crying again.

I exhaled when I closed the door and sat down in the hallway next to the door. What should I do? He's no longer here to protect me and he has my contracg. Why? Why would you do that Voik? I simply don't understand. I palmed my face curled in on myself, I sighed as fresh tears leaked out from my eyes and ran down my face. I need to go home, it'll be best and I'll come back when both my parents come lay their respects to both Voik and Luster's parents. They didn't come right now since work held them back and they couldn't leave. I got up and opened the door to tell their mother in leaving and that I'll be back later, after I did that I turned to leave but came face to face with Luster who stood on the doorway.