Chapter [8]

Chapter 8

A girl – possibly one of her classmates – gripped Icee's shoulder, making her snap out of her horrified trance. She can't keep the picture out of her head. And she's sure that that picture will make it to her nightmares tonight.

Icee, somehow still trapped in her mind, glanced at the girl who touched her shoulder. She instantly recognized the girl, though she doesn't quite know her name. She was worried for the girl was a horrible mess; bloodshot eyes, red and runny nose, messy-not-in-a-good-way hair.

"I-icee," the girl squeaked out, breathless. She was still crying and Icee immediately went to console her. She automatically thought that the girl was crying because the dead body was her friend.

Before the girl could even speak, police swarmed the area almost immediately. Icee didn't even notice that they entered the vicinity. It was a first that the police responded quickly.

In seconds, Aaron was by Icee's side, helping her with their classmate who Icee learned was Denica.

"Hey kids! Please, move out of the way. Go to your classrooms, if you may!" A familiarly loud voice boomed. It was Officer Silva. Icee and Aaron pulled away from the crowd as the police continued with their work. Of course, the students were hardheaded as they tried to catch a glimpse of the bloody action. Even some teachers were trying to meddle with the police officers' work.

"Try again, Denica. It's okay. Take your time. We'll be listening," Aaron told her as soon as they were away from the confusion. Icee watched the girl struggle with her breath.

"T-they --- Harriet --- Someone ---" She tried to form the words but sobs and endless gasps made it a lot harder to say anything.

Icee stepped forward and did something she never would have done before. She hugged her. Icee calmly patted her back as she whispered in her ear, "It's okay. Calm down. It's all gonna be alright."

Aaron watched Icee's magic in awe. He was surprised at how Denica suddenly feel calm and collected. Like she's mustered every inch of energy left in her just so she would stop breaking down. Icee stepped back to give Denica some space and Aaron couldn't help but grab her hand as a sign of comfort.

Surprisingly, Icee thought that his gesture was soothing.

"I-i saw someone enter our classroom last night. She was--- she was wearing a big hat and sunglasses. We all thought that it was only a parent. She called Harriet outside the room. And coincidentally, I wanted to go to the bathroom. And so I followed right outside and saw that the parent and Harriet were off to somewhere. Since they were going to the direction of the bathroom, I followed behind them. They entered the bathroom and I was supposed to go inside but then I heard Harriet scream, saying something like, 'What the hell are you doing?!' and then silence. I was terrified. And so I hid. And I saw that parent drag Harriet's body out of the bathroom and I only stood there, petrified. A man came running to that parent's help to carry Harriet's body off to somewhere." After she was finished, she quickly exhaled, as if saying that took every inch of her energy.

And Icee only stood there with her mouth hanging open, the girl's words bumping with each other in her head. And she's not the only one, for Aaron had the same reaction.

"So . . . you're telling me, that after I went to attend to other matters after our meeting, Harriet was kidnapped easily, just like that?!" Aaron said. He cursed himself for being so stupid.

"I'm sorry. I couldn't speak. Every time I try to, nothing comes out," Denica said, another sob escaping from her lips.

"No. No, no, no. I'm sorry. It's okay, it's not your fault. Thank you. Thank you for telling us this. You can go." Aaron gestured for her to go and Denica nodded as she strolled away from them.