Chapter Ten

The development in the case concerning Adonis Campbell was still up in the air. Both sides had two different stories of that night when the incident took place to tell. Some parts of their stories paralleled while others expressed no correlation. It had only been three days sent the shooting which was certainly not enough time to have the full and complete truthful explanation of what exactly happened.

Adonis and his younger brother claimed they had been racing in the woods and were distracted by trying to beat each other. So much that they were oblivious as to where they were and whose land they approached. Adonis recalled breaking through the trees to an open yard of a home. It was a small house in the deep woods a few miles from town. There was four or five male hunters together on tbe front porch as they smoked cigarettes and gulped down their beer. Adonis was the first one they noticed.

They all jumped up and grabbed their rifle or shotgun near by. Adonis quickly moved on his feet and begun the fleed the property, but his brother was frozen in shock behind him. He raced back for his blood and nipped and growled at him to run. He listened, but all too late because the hunters were closing in on their tails. They sprinted until a shoot rung out into in darkness and a silver bullet hit Adonis in the right shoulder.

Adonis came to a stopped and fell to the ground in pain. By the time the hunters caught up to them, the two young boys have but shifted back into their human form and sentinels on duty were on their way. The sentinels came to their location seconds later after hearing the shot.

Following that, Adonis did not remember much because he lost conscious. The other pack members on the scene had to carry him to the pack house and a guide his little brother back to safety. The head sentinel, Carson, stayed behind to discuss what occurred.

He got the hunters' tale. They claimed they two young wolves were growling and yapping at them and tried to attack so they took appropriate action. From when the two pack members took off into the tress to the when the shot rung were told the same way in both stories.

What happened in the beginning was displaced puzzle pieces that still needed to be put together. I laid awake each night with questions and possibilities on my mind. The one thing I wanted to know most off all was simply why did they shoot.

Maybe after months of tracking down rouges have took an effect on the hunters and they got joy out of ending a werewolf's life as years before. Maybe it's like a game to them like hunting deer. Maybe this played into why us werewolves were at a sticky situation when it came to the hunters.

There were more questions than answers.

"Bree." I felt a nudge in my shoulder at the sound of Elias' voice.

I was deep in my thoughts I didn't hear the bell ring that signaled the end of the lunch. I glanced around me and observed other students stand from their seats to dispose their trash then head to class. I stared at my less than half eaten tray before me and felt guilty for letting my food go to waste.

"I'll take your tray," Elias offered and gathered up our plastic trays.

I remained seated at our table as I watched him and Asher walk over to the station were we emptied out tray then stack on the window to the kitchen. They two boys talked back and forth until Asher said something witty that caused them to burst into fits of laughter.

Suddenly, an another presence was amongst me. They sat down beside me and casually rested their arm over my shoulders without my consent. From their aroma I knew it was a human male. I turned my head slightly, so I wasn't completely staring at them from the corner of my eye.

"What's up, Bree?"

It was Will Bhayner. Will and I had a relationship freshmen year that only lasted a few weeks because I could not return the same feelings. He was a popular jock, smart, funny, and even had the looks and money. Yet, it all was not for me.