Chapter 27

The next morning I awoke filled with anticipation. I stretched, smiling, saying to myself, "Good morning, Salome. Welcome to the first day of your new life."

I felt free at last. Free from the guilt I had carried for so long. Guilt had first entered my life when as young girl I thought I was somehow responsible for the withdrawal of my father's love. The burden of guilt grew as I wondered if I could have done something more to help my ailing mother. The most crippling guilt, though, was over my betrayal of Samson's love. Although I still accepted responsibility for my actions, the guilt was gone, taken by Yasha and buried in some nameless place, perhaps in the depths of the ocean. Forgiveness accomplished this miracle. So I sang as I washed and dressed, "This is a new day Yahweh has made. I will rejoice and be glad."

I went below, greeting Naomi and Alian with a cheery good morning. Then taking up the water jug, I waved jauntily as I headed for the well to replenish our water supply. It was early and few had yet to venture out. I waved at some women coming toward the gate from farther inside the city. I strolled leisurely to the well, savoring the fresh morning air. I stopped to admire the sunrise. Seeing some pretty flowers growing wild in the field beyond the well, I sat my jar down and wandered over to pick a few and weave them into a floral crown. As I turned back, my hair festooned with flowers, I saw a stream of women spilling through the gates of Hebron.

"There she is," one shouted, "the betraying harlot!"

The hatred I saw on her face stopped me in my tracks. I did not know her name, or the names of many of the others following her; but they were my neighbors, women who heretofore had treated me with civility. Today their faces were twisted into sneers. Venom poured from their eyes. As they walked rapidly toward me, some stooped, swooping up stones without taking their eyes from me or breaking stride.

The first one to reach me, swung her well bucket viciously, striking the side of my head as she cried, "Murderess!"

I reeled back, managing to stay on my feet as blood flowed from a gash in my scalp.

"You should have stayed inside the city walls," another shrieked as a rock flew out of the crowd, striking me in the shoulder.

Another hit me in the chest. As more stones found their mark, I fell to my knees, vainly covering my head with my hands.

"She is not so haughty, now," a voice exclaimed as another bucket hit my back and I sprawled facedown in the dirt.

"Whore, betrayer, traitor, filthy prostitute. . .," the words rained down, crushing my spirit even as the blows battered my body. 

Now that I was down, the women pounced, kicking, pulling my hair, ripping my clothing. Like a pack of rabid wolves, they vented pent up anger over Samson's destruction. I felt a sharp pain as something pierced my eye and then I blacked out.

I found myself floating above the massacre. I watched as the women continued to berate me and abuse my broken body. I wondered that they could not ascertain that my spirit was gone.

I watched Alian and Naomi run out of the city gates in response to the commotion, shouting for the women to stop. The mob was gripped by a fever hotter than any roaring inferno, and their cries fell on deaf ears. Not until men on horses arrived, surrounding the women and brandishing weapons, did the beating stop. Commanded to return to their homes, the women evaporated quickly back into the city. The enforcers of the law followed on horseback, leaving Naomi and Alian to claim my shattered body.

Naomi leaned over me and checked for a heart beat.

"She still lives," she told Alian quietly. "We must get her inside. Her pulse is faint. I fear for her life."