Chapter 34

When we announced our plans to the household, the air buzzed with excitement. Myra and Naomi immediately began discussing my wedding attire. Judith and Matred conferred concerning the delicacies they wanted to concoct for the feast days. Sallu told Talmai that it appeared he would be looking for a new residence.

"Wait a minute, wait a minute," Alian called.

When quite resumed, he explained that we had chosen a nontraditional wedding. He informed Judith and Matred that there would no be feast days, only a feast day. He addressed Sallu's presumption that he and Myra would need to move.

"Unless you and Myra just want to leave, Salome and I will occupy her room and you two can stay where you are. If you are blessed with children, you can decide then what will be best for your growing family," he concluded.

"By that time, my room may be vacant," Naomi inserted dryly.

I quickly interjected that my bridal attire need not be elaborate. While we would observe the tradition of a feast and the marital benediction, I planned to invite only a few, our former boarders and their families. I explained that there would be no bridal processional.

"We don't plan to do away with the tradition of the bride being taken to her chamber and prepared for the coming of her groom, though," Alian said.

I could imagine the mischievous gleam in his eye, because I could hear it in his tone.

As the laughter died, Alian took my hand in his and slipped something onto my finger.

"See by this ring you are set aside for me, according to the Law of Moses and Israel," he intoned the solemn words of the betrothal vow.

This took me completely by surprise. I sucked in my breath and reached over with my free hand to feel the band he had placed on my finger. As I traced the simple design on the band, I gasped aloud. Naomi's voice penetrated my wonder.

"Yes, Salome, the band is the gold one I have worn since my beloved gave it to me on our betrothal day. I urged Alian to accept it to give to you. If I had a daughter, I would have given it to her to wear as part of her wedding attire."

"I will cherish it forever," I said softly, still gently caressing the familiar design with my fingertip.

"Well," Alain said brightly, "now that the formality of the betrothal is complete, let me warn you all that we plan a nontraditional betrothal as well. We will only observe about a 30 day betrothal period, instead of the traditional year. We intend to wed when the moon is full at the completion of this cycle."

At this, the babble of astonished voices rose around us once again.

The days seemed to fly by. Naomi and Myra insisted that I had to be attired as was befitting a bride. Realizing it would do no good to protest, I allowed them to measure and fuss. I accompanied them to the market to select material. I knew what I wanted the material to feel like and I trusted them to pick a becoming color.

Judith and Matred kept pestering me to taste various delectable dishes they were experimenting with for the feast. They seemed determined that everyone would go home envious of the scrumptious spread, if they only had one night to exhibit their culinary skills.

I heard whispered conversations concerning wedding gifts, but I pretended not to have heard, knowing no one fully understood the heightened quality of my hearing since I lost my sight. Even Alian was busy preparing for the big day. I knew he was planning a wedding surprise for me; I just did not know what it was.

Wanting to do something special for Alian, I decided to sneak away early one morning and confer with Jacob the carpenter. I let Naomi know where I was going so that she could try to keep Alian from knowledge of my errand. I slipped out the gate. Using my cane, I felt my way along the nearly empty street. My plan was to make it to Jacob's house before the city became busy. I would get Rachel to accompany me back home.
The trip to the carpenter's shop was uneventful, but because of the early hour, Jacob had not yet arrived. I sat on a bench positioned under a tree near the shop gate, with my back to the street. I do not know if the women passing by did not notice that I was there, or if they did not recognize me, or if they deliberately spoke cruel words intended for my ears. As I sat, their gossip assaulted my mind.