[epilogue]

EVERY MORNING, GERRY LOOKED IN THE MIRROR AND SAID SOMETHING POSITIVE ABOUT HIMSELF, MUSTERING A FAKE SMILE DAY AFTER DAY UNTIL IT BECAME GENUINE.

Things were looking up. He had slowly built up his friendship with Dena and Carlos, but also gained new friends.

Hailey, the girl with a dog obsession, became one of his best friends.

He started listening to the 1975, actually liking it, and Lucy showed him even more music.

The video game club on campus was glad to receive Gerry as a member.

Gerry reconciled with his mom, and after a couple of awkward days, everything went back to normal.

As for the McAllisters...

Cadence continued to be happily oblivious to everything that happened over the past year. (She and Brad are still together.)

Addy went on a rampage at school after Gerry's outburst, making everyone terrified of her wrath, and exposing her true nature.

Their parents remained judgmental as ever.

Gerry made it out of his regrettable (yet unforgettable) teenage years with friends, family, his personality, clear skin, and some newfound knowledge.

He knew for a fact that his real friends wouldn't try to change, insult, or control him.

That it's perfectly okay to have acne.

That you can wear whatever you want.

That you can eat whatever you want.

That it doesn't matter what other people think, as long as you're happy.

And that you should never change yourself for someone to accept you.

Gerry searched for a solution to his physical flaws, only to realize that he had none. His face isn't a flaw. His body isn't a flaw. His personality is not a flaw.

He never needed a remedy after all.

And so it ends.
Thank you for sticking with this story :)
Originally written for #freeyourbody
Currently a short story
Will be rewritten as a full length novel if I ever get time

Please comment and tell me how you liked the story!