Chapter 1: Settling In

As I put my luggage in the back and hopped in the passenger seat, we began backing out of the driveway. We were driving for several hours until we finally hit New Orleans. Wallace was only 12 miles away. I decided to wear mom's t-shirt: after all, I definitely had the chest to rock it.

When we pulled up I was shocked...this would be the point where I would have to say goodbye. I felt the welling up of tears in my eyes, my vision no longer clear. "I'm going to miss you," I finally croaked. "Hey, come here," he said as he gathered me in a hug. "If you ever feel lonely, just talk to your brother. Promise me you will call home as often as you can," he said. "I will, thank you," I said. As he released me, he grabbed most of my bags and handed them to me. As I took them I walked down the path to the main building where all the other college freshman and regular students were meeting. I scanned the audience until I found Boone about a row or two behind the last row of college freshman. "Hey brother," I said behind Boone. As soon as he heard me, his head whipped around to where I was. "Oh hey Carla. So, you excited about coming here?" "Yeah. I'm wearing mom's old t-shirt when she came here," I said. "Attention," the Dean's voice came loud through the microphone. The whole audience of students went silent. "For those who don't know me, I am Dean Munsch. Welcome back everybody for a new year here at Wallace University. As for the freshman, we hope that you will feel as much at home as any other ordinary student. We have some new rules that we would like to establish: any girls who wish to join the KKT college sorority are now open to do so. As for the boys, you now have a wider selection of sports," she said. I watched as Boone bit his bottom lip and punched a fist high into the air.

"The lists for the sororities will go out as soon as this meeting is over. Freshman, I wish you a great school year, and hopes that you will settle in as comfortably as possible. School dances: we have a fall dance coming up at the beginning of October. Teachers will be chaperoning, so no dirty dancing is allowed," said Dean Munsch. There was a light pause after she finished speaking. "Okay, as a wrap I would once again like to welcome our freshman. Have a wonderful year!" she finished. The whole audience, including Boone began cheering and erupting with applause so much the ground could have shaken. "I put my name on the list earlier. It's only the freshman that need to put their name on the list. I bet you will be able to get into KKT what with the rules being more open and all," said Boone.

I walked up to the sign-up desk for KKT to find a bleach-blonde girl in a pink fur coat sitting there with a blank clipboard. "Hello," she said. "Hi," I said as I picked up the pen. "Wow! I really love your top!" she said as soon as she looked up long enough to see me. "It was my mother's," I said, smiling. "You seem to have a passion for the sorority. Tell you what: I will see if there are any spots open. If there are, welcome to Kappa Kappa Tau," she said. "Thank you, uh-" I was cut off. "Chanel...Chanel Oberlin," said the girl. "Nice to meet you," I said, gently shaking her by the hand. "Well, I better get going if I am going to catch up to my brother," I said. "Pardon? You have a brother that goes here?" Chanel asked. "Boone," I said. "Boone? Boone is your brother?" she asked. "Is that a problem?" I asked. Chanel went from a somewhat confused face to a calm, happy one. "No, no problem at all. But, just between us...you are talking about Boone with the dark brown curly hair and rippling muscles and abs for days," Chanel said somewhat confused. "Yep, that's the one," I said. She began changing the subject. "Oh! Look at that! Turns out there is a spot open for you at the Kappa house. Hopefully, you will just die to be a part of our sisterhood. Here is your key...welcome to Kappa Kappa Tau!" she said. "Thanks Chanel," I said as I walked off.