Chapter 2: Old Stories

After I successfully unpacked my luggage and some light belongings of my mother's, I decided to meet up with my brother and go to the nearest Starbucks on campus. "So, how are the girls treating you?" Boone asked. "I only know Chanel," I said. "Chanel? Chanel is the head of the sorority. You'd be glad enough to give her a good first impression," he said. "I'm sorry...did you just talk about checking into the KKT sorority?" the male barrista from behind the counter asked. "Yeah, uh...Fritz," I said as I read the nametag aloud. "I'll catch up with you later. I think he wants to talk to you. I'll wait outside," said Boone.

I waited for Fritz to start his break so that he could come talk to me. When he came up to me, he started talking business. "Look, lots of bad things have happened in that house," he said. "Like what?" I asked. "People were murdered, one woman gave birth to a baby in a bathtub in the middle of a party. The girl was murdered by someone in a red devil's costume," said Fritz. "What about the baby?" I asked. "Rumour has it the person took her and brought her to live with a family that had one child, and it was a son or two the same age," said Fritz. "Twin boys?" I asked. "TWIN...BOYS...," he said loud and clear. Now I was partially confused. Honestly, this story could connect to my life but at the same time, who would be the murderer/capturer and why would he/she wish to pursue something so vicious and gruesome? "We need to do some research. Meet me at the library tomorrow night after it closes. By the way, I'm bringing some extra boxes with me so I'll need some extra help," I said. "I'll meet you outside. It's a date," he said.

-the following night-

I showed up after dark at the library in my red t-shirt, dark jeans and black leather jacket. The boxes from under my bed were heavier than I remember. Fritz was just outside waiting on the front steps. "What took you so long?" he asked. "These boxes are heavy to carry all alone," I said under the weight. "I got you," he said as he easily picked up two boxes. I got my flashlight out and turned it on once we got inside. "So, where should we start?" I asked. "The basement; some of the school's biggest secrets are kept on file down there," said Fritz. "Good call," I said, flashing light everywhere. Once we managed our way down the stone stairs, we were walking down a cemented hallway until I stepped on a tile that gave in to the floor as I applied pressure. A secret door was revealed. "This is it," said Fritz as he shined his flashlight inside. As we walked inside, my eyes immediately came across a bathtub covered in blood and grime. Plus, there were several shelves lined with files. "Which person was most targeted for the attack from 20 years ago?" I asked. "Natalie Reynolds," said Fritz. "Reynolds? That's my last name," I said in shock. I quickly scanned the shelves until I came across the 'R' files. Surprisingly, her file was the only one in there. I opened it, and there was an immediate picture or image of the girl. "You know this girl looks very familiar. Pass me my box of my mom's stuff," I said. Fritz put the box on the table, and I began to sort through. I took out all of my stuff until I could only see a purple or grey towel at the bottom of the box.           

"Here we go," I said before lifting the towel. The bottom of the box was filled with clothes, framed photos, and notebooks. The first item from under the towel was a yellow silk dress covered in blood, followed by a framed photo of my mother and the other girls of the KKT sorority. "Which one is your mom?" Fritz asked. "The one in the middle," I said. Fritz grabbed the photo on file and we compared the pictures. "It's identical, which means you are the mystery baby that everyone was in question about," he said. "We don't know that for sure. She has fingerprints done for her DNA sample. Isn't there like some type of DNA scanner in this school?" I asked. "The genetics lab might have one," said Fritz. "Let's go," I said. As we grabbed everything and headed to the genetics lab, I couldn't help but wonder if it was true: that I myself was the baby of the 1995 attack...........