All That Glitters Is Gold

Shrek had just finished a shower when his phone vibrated. He hurriedly ran to the bedside table and checked to see who it was. He was really hoping it was Caillou. They planned a date(?) and Shrek was excited. Well, excited was an understatement. Though, when he checked his phone, he was devastated. It was one of those data messages. He sighed and turned it over to his music, throwing it on the bed and walking to his closet. He opened it up and looked inside, not being able to decide what to wear.

"How can you see into my eyes, like open doors?... Leading you down into my core, where I've become so numb?"

Shrek sang along to the lyrics as he combed through his closet. He couldn't decide- should he go casual, or nicely dressed? It was just the movie theaters... He reached to the back of his closet, feeling around for the button. When he found it, he pushed it, letting his hand fall to his side. Then, suddenly, the back of his closet started to ease open slowly. He smirked as it continued to open, the slight humming sound from the motor filling the room. He pushed back his clothes and slid the second pair of doors open, revealing his walk in closet.

The music from his phone was no longer heard from inside the closet, due to how large the room was. He stepped over to his shirts, skimming through the selections. He was through the last few when he saw the shirt he was going to wear. He pulled it off the hanger and slid his arms in the sleeves. He buttoned it up in front of the mirror. He smiled at the reflection of the white long sleeved button up, turning around to see the back. He looked great in this shirt- how come he didn't wear it more often?

He slid on some black skinny jeans and walked over to his shoes selection. He slipped on some black Vans, satisfied with his look. He wondered what Caillou was going to wear. He exited the room, closed both of the closet doors, and sat on the edge of the bed. He grabbed his beanie off the table and slipped it on his head. He noticed that his song was over, and Sandstorm by Darude had started. He chuckled as he shut of the music, making his way to the mirror and taking a picture of himself.

 He chuckled as he shut of the music, making his way to the mirror and taking a picture of himself

Just then, his phone vibrated in his hand. He nearly dropped it as he checked the message he received.

From: Caillou <3

Hey, Shrek! I'm ready for the movie.

He clicked the photo that was attached as his heart raced. Caillou looked good in pastel colors.

 Caillou looked good in pastel colors

He smiled as he replied.

To: Caillou:

alright see ya then

Shrek contemplated adding xo's at the end, deciding he had nothing to lose. He added the xo's and sent it, grabbing his keys off the bed and running down the stairs. He shut the front door behind him and locked it, running down to his car. It was pretty old, considerably, but he didn't mind. He started up the engine and pulled away from his house, checking the address once more on his phone. Caillou only lived a couple blocks away? Cool. He turned the music up, Allstar by Smash Mouth instantly filling the small space of the car. Shrek gasped as his lips turned up into a smile, turning up radio up louder. This was his song! Today was going well so far.

The song was over my the time he pulled onto Caillou's street. He turned off the radio and looked for Caillou's house. Was it the yellow one? Shrek parked in front of the house and looked out the passenger side window, trying to find any indication that this was Caillou's place. AS if on cue, Caillou can walking out of the house nervously, peeking from his shoes up to the car with a faint blush across his sharp cheekbones. Shrek waved as Caillou walked up to the car and open the door, sitting down.

"Hey, Shrek. Thank you for taking me to a movie." Caillou thanked him as he slid his belt on. Shrek nodded.

"Of course!" He replied with a smirk. Caillou looked down at his hands as he picked at his nails.

"So... You know how to drive? We're not even that old yet." Caillou spoke up. Shrek looked over, a bit surprised. He shrugged.

"I was held back a few years..." Shrek admitted. Caillou nodded.

"Oh. Well, it's cool you can drive." he said with a  smile. While Caillou waved at his mom, Shrek pulled out into the street making his way to the theater. The drive was mostly quiet until Caillou spoke.

"Hey, here's some money to pay for my ticket." He sat some money on the dash, looking over at Shrek.

"No, you keep it, I'm paying."

"I insist."

"No, please," Shrek said, grabbing the money and slipping it into Caillou's hand, "I'm paying." He patted his knee before letting it stay here hesitantly. He could hear Caillou gasp which made him smirk. Caillou stayed silent the rest of the drive.

"Want to see G-Force?" Shrek asked as they walked in together.

"The one with the guinea pig spies?"

"Yeah."

Caillou giggled. "Sure. I heard it's good."

They paid for the tickets and bought some popcorn. Shrek wanted extra butter, but Caillou didn't, so they got two buckets. Caillou also begged for a bag of gummy worms. They were walking to the room where the movie was said to play as Shrek looked down at Caillou slowly, admiring his happy face. Shrek couldn't believe that he was causing that look.

"The movie's going to start soon, we should head in there." Caillou said as he ate a piece of popcorn. Shrek nodded. They walked in together, behind the parents that were holding their kids' hands. Since everyone was sitting in the front, they decided to sit in the back, where to good seats were anyway. They scooted down the very back row, sitting in the middle underneath the projector. The movie was starting as they got comfortable.

"Shh, Shrek, it's starting!" Caillou whispered playfully. Shrek laughed as the screen lit up. The kids below started cheering happily. Everything was going good so far.

Half way through the movie, Caillou leaned his head against Shrek's shoulder. This caused Shrek to look down at him with a smile, sliding his hand onto Caillou's leg. Caillou looked up at him with a blush that was hardly visible thanks to the darkness of the theater. He slipped his hand under Shrek's, letting their hands grip each others slowly. Caillou giggled as he got comfortable once more, focusing on the movie.

Once the movie was over, they continued to hold hands.

"That was a great movie! I can't believe those kitchen appliances actually became robots. And that mole seemed so nice at first, I can't believe he did that!" Caillou exclaimed as they threw away their trash. Shrek laughed as Caillou continued to ramble about the movie. It caught Shrek off guard when Caillou turned to him.

"I really had fun tonight." Caillou said, suddenly shy.

"Me too, Caillou. I'm glad you came with me." Shrek answered. Caillou's cheeks became a shade darker as he slid his other hand into Shrek's other hand, biting his lip. Caillou turned and looked up. He slowly stood to his tiptoes as he brought his lips to Shrek's, pressing them into a kiss. Both of their eyes fluttered closed as it went on, Caillou being the first to pull away.

Shrek stuttered as his cheeks heated up as well.

"Let's get you home, it's pretty late."