7

Get Clouds (book 2 of the Game of the Gods series) on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2XSNWM

For the last hour Kita had bombed and flamed enemy positions along the front

For the last hour Kita had bombed and flamed enemy positions along the front. She'd concentrated on areas away from the three attack groups. The plan was to keep them honest and make them think it was a preemptory attack for something else. In a way it was.

She'd crossed lines to visit her side a few times to check on the army and make sure the command groups had received the latest updates. To her surprise and satisfaction they had received the latest dispatches all bearing Commander Isa's seal.

Kita liked the seal. A red crescent moon centered on a pair of black and green scimitar stylized angel wings. She wondered how long Amber had this design sitting around just waiting. The wings had to be new, but the moon was definitely a symbol of Arabia.

Amber had devised a change in plans upon her arrival at the command tent. Once it was daylight the Army of the Roses men would attack through the holes created by the Black Watch and the Legion. They were to relieve both groups if they needed it. So far, it sounded like losses were light.

"Kita? Can you hear me?" Amber's voice came over the comm.

"Of course. What do you need?"

"We're getting reports from members of The Horde that the reinforcements to the southeast are moving north. I'm guessing they're going to counterattack. We don't have the manpower to stand up to them. I'm having our people pullback through the holes we made to our lines."

Kita grumbled.

"Then they're free to pursue or keeping up and around to attack the ridge. If they pursue and successfully punch through they can encircle the ridge."

"I know. I'm pulling all the recently relieved units from the ridge down to that area to bolster the line. I don't like it, but we don't have much of a choice. The nearest fresh units are miles away. They're on the move but it'll be hours before they get here." Amber replied worried and scared. She was enough of both that it came over the comm.

"What's wrong?" Kita asked.

"I...I didn't want my battle as your chief commander to be a total loss. I understand if you don't want me after this."

"The battles not over yet and it's not like you started with a lousy hand. You have a bloody awful hand. But don't worry, it's not over yet. As they say, this is why I get paid the big bucks. Give me a half hour before you issue any warning orders for order changes." Kita instructed gently, but firmly.

"What are you going to do?"

"What do you do when you want to get snakes out of the grass?"

"I have no idea."