16

Get Breakout (book 5 of the Ascension series) on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096Y2W1W3

The shuttle slowly circled high above the city of Mecca

The shuttle slowly circled high above the city of Mecca. Below them the city pulsed with activity of various kinds. In the center a large palace dominated the entire landscape.

Sarin and Amber stood on the ramp looking down deciding what to do. The palace was blinding to look at. The dome on the central building and the tops of the minarets were clad in gold. Every surface on the outside was painted brilliant white adding to the eye strain.

"How is the entire city not blind?" Sarin yelled over the wind.

"It's not that bad from the ground." Amber shrugged.

"Well there's something going on in one of those sections."

"Those are the Gardens of the Desert, Oasis, Shore, and Sky."

Maximizing the magnification in her eyes, Sarin took a closer look. "There are a lot of palm trees, white sand, and pools of water..."

"That's the Garden of the Oasis. It's the third highest garden. Something important must be going on."

"Well let me look a little closer."

Sarin unslung her rifle and held the receiver to her eye. She scanned over the people in the garden. It was something formal.

"Oh holy bloody hell!" Sarin raged.

"What is it?"

"The Red Legion. It's some kind of ceremony with Red Legion and Arabian soldiers lined up. I take it the guy on the stool that's dressed like our friend is the Sheik?"

"Yes. What are they doing?"

"There's a table at his feet with two big pieces of paper on it. Hang on, I can almost read it the title."

The shuttle rapidly dropped five hundred feet. Sarin looked through her scope again.

"They're giving up without a fight?!" Sarin exclaimed as much as questioned the air.

"What? You're kidding?" Amber said, her voice shaking.

"No, it's a treaty of capitulation. We have to get down there and show your side they have more options with teeth."

"What are we going to do?" Amber asked worried and scared.

Sarin took her hand, "Hey, it'll be fine. I won't let them give away your home."

Amber nodded and gave her a small smile.

"What do have in mind, Red Rose?" McRay asked.

"As much as I hate to admit it, we're going to take a page from Kita's book. Amber and I will go in hot. You and the Commandoes will come in and secure the area, but don't reveal yourselves unless I tell you to. I want to have some surprises, which includes the tin man."