17

Get Rebirth (book 1 of the Game of the Gods series) on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DN2KNHK

"Sarin this beginning to look bad," Amber commented looking to the north

Columns of black smoke rose into the atmosphere to be carried away by a stiff upper current. Under the black and brown cloud Red Legions continued their assault. Around them in the city legionnaires hurried to prepare fighting positions.

Sarin wanted to reach out and slap her for stating the obvious. Her stomach had been on a steep steady decline over the last four hours. Every time she thought it would stabilize something new would go wrong. She wondered if Snowy had the same pit in her stomach when her command had been decimated five years ago. At least now they'd have something in common, they'd both wrecked something Kita had built.

The speed in which the dominoes started to fall amazed her. She'd heard of battles turning in a matter of seconds, but now a matter of seconds stretched into gut wrenching hours. She could pin point down to the bullet when things had gone wrong.

The initial attack had been thrown back at great cost. The enemy infantry had reached the tank ditches and immediately started to tear down the walls. Death's Brigade did an unbelievable job of killing all the enemy tanks before they could reach the breaches. As good as that was, they had no way of repairing the walls.

Before they had time to rearm and regroup from the first attack, a larger second wave came at them. Paladin and Vampires had to cut their time short after running out of ammunition. The precious time lost to reload them allowed the enemy to get into medium range unmolested. The volume of enemy fire began to take its toll on Death's Brigade. One by one the tanks were knocked out of action. Crews scrambled to repair what they could. Most suffered damage to firing systems or to the tracks. None had been officially killed, yet. It was only a matter of time for those stuck on the firing berms before they were out for good.

When the advance halted so the infantry could finish knocking down the ditches, it became a tankers duel. A duel they were winning until the infantry rush came. Thousands of Red Legionnaires charged the berms and firing positions. In many places it had come down to hand-to-hand combat, and when it came to that kind of fighting her side had the upper hand. Even the Sheiks man had proven they could fight. The casualty reports were sporadic, but watch she received had been better than expected.

Then it happened, the bullet that took the fighting from slightly lopsided to a last stand. Anthrax had been covering a portion of the perimeter giving that section a chance to regroup when a bullet struck her and sent her tumbling to the ground. She and Amber had raced to save her. They reached her just ahead of a massive spearhead of enemy tanks and fighting vehicles. Anthrax's shooting hadn't been random. The suddenly vulnerable area was quickly overwhelmed with fire. Paladin and the Vampires raced to help take up the slack. Even as War they couldn't turn the tide. Finally she had to pull Black Watch Soldiers from the strongest part of her line to keep the overwhelmed section from folding.