Chapter 2

"She's beautiful, isn't she? The spitting image of her great-grandmother," Grand-Papa said as Jacques poured himself a drink. "When she pulled up at the gates, I thought for a second that it was my time and I was being given a vision of Yvette before I crossed to the other side."

Grand-Papa vibrated with excitement. If Maya's arrival caused his grandfather to have a stroke, she'd find herself out on her ass before she could unpack her bags.

He handed the trusting old man a glass of wine. "Don't get too excited. She won't be here long." He sat on the sofa, hoping Grand-Papa would do the same.

"Really? When she arrived this afternoon she said she'd come to stay."

He held back the groan of frustration. It would be hard enough to evict the woman, who technically had a legal right to the property, without his grandfather on her side. "Grand-Papa, this is our home. We can't have a stranger living in our estate. I value my privacy."

"She's not a stranger. She's Yvette's great-granddaughter."

"Remind me again why she now owns the cottage." He'd only discovered the cottage and ten hectares of their best grapes were owned by someone else when his grandfather had transferred the estate to him four years ago. He'd wanted then to reclaim the property, but his grandfather had forbade it, saying it would come back to the family in time. Well, that time was now.

Grand-Papa sighed and finally sat opposite Jacques on the replica Louis XVI fainting couch, which was about as comfortable as a cement bench. "When Yvette and I were engaged, I gave her the cottage and land. It formed part of her estate, so when she died Maya inherited it."

"It was a betrothal gift for a marriage that never took place. I'm sure we have a legal case to have the property restored to us. Yvette should have returned the deeds when she ran off with that other man." And it appeared Maya was just like her great-grandmother, holding onto something she had no moral right to claim.

Grand-Papa looked over Jacques's left shoulder as if seeing the past depicted on the wall behind. "Yvette offered and I refused."

"What?" Jacques stood.

"I hoped that one day she would return to me. But instead she sent her great-granddaughter."

Jacques would have to be careful to limit Maya's association with his grandfather, especially alone. Grand-Papa seemed to be confusing past and present. Who knew what he'd give away next?

Daniel sauntered into the room and poured himself a drink.

"Grand-Papa." Jacques forced his voice to soften. "I know you think this is some romantic movie, but the reality is that a strange woman is living 100 meters from our house. She drives a motorbike. Who knows what kind of people she'll let in? This is unacceptable; she has to leave."

"No."

"Pardon?"

"I may no longer own this house, but I am still the Comte de Vendee and your grandfather. Maya stays for as long as she wishes. You are not to ask her to leave."

"Grand-Papa, that's too much. I can't allow it. Daniel, help me out. We can't have some wild, biker chick living on the estate."

Daniel glanced at his phone before answering. "I haven't had the pleasure of meeting the woman, and I don't discriminate based on transportation choices. You're on your own in this battle, Jacques."

Merveilleux, I'm surrounded by romantics.

Grand-Papa cleared his throat, a sure sign Jacques wasn't going to like what came next. "The only other thing I've ever asked of you, Jacques, is to provide me with a great-grandchild."