Chapter 16

"Merde."

She hadn't heard Jacques swear often. So she looked up from the list she'd been checking. He strode across the hallway, his body vibrating with anger.

"What's wrong?" She dropped the clipboard onto a nearby table. His mouth had hardened to a tight line and a muscle in his jaw pulsed. Her heart rate accelerated. Had he found out she was wanted by both the RCMP and Big Tony?

"My mother," he answered.

Bullet dodged. This time. Although from his expression, he was about as excited to hear from his mother as to be told he needed a root canal. "Oh, that answers nothing." She caressed his cheek and he covered her hand with his before sliding it across and kissing her palm. If her knees went a bit weak, it was just because she'd been standing too long.

"My mother has heard about the festival. She called to say she will attend and will require four bedrooms for her entourage, as she doesn't wish to return to Paris if the party goes late."

"Would you call that presumptuous or self-assured?" Except he wasn't laughing.

"She treats this like it's still her house. She left. Left me. Left Daniel. She didn't come back for birthdays or Christmas or anything. What right does she have to come to our party?" A thrill raced through her when he said "our party."

"Well, we have two choices. We can get four bedrooms ready, greet your mother when she arrives, and then ignore her for the evening as we enjoy ourselves. Then tomorrow we can stay in bed until she leaves, and aside from ten minutes when she first gets here, you never have to talk with her."

"Tempting. And option two?"

"You tell your mother she's not welcome and spend the entire festival expecting her to show up and make a scene. When she does arrive uninvited, wait half an hour for the police to get here and escort her off the premises. And tomorrow morning, rather than make love to me, make an application for a restraining order stopping her from ever setting foot on your property again."

He stared into her eyes, but she already knew his decision. He kissed her, his lips lingering on hers. "Promise we can spend tomorrow in bed until she departs?"

"We can make so much noise, your mother will leave early just to get some peace and quiet."

"You present a compelling argument. I'll tell Marie to get the rooms ready."

He kissed Maya briefly then walked towards the ballroom where the housekeeper was assisting with the setup for the party. With so much to do, getting four bedrooms ready for unexpected guests wasn't going to be easy. Maya would help. She knew the perfect bedspread for Jacques's mother's room.

"Oh, Jacques..." He turned back. "My dress isn't the only surprise. I bought something to wear after everyone leaves. For your eyes only, if you know what I mean."

His sexy grin returned. "That thought is going to keep me going through whatever happens tonight."

As she fidgeted beside Jacques four hours later, she wished she had a fast-forward button and could be modeling her new negligee for him. Instead, she was standing on the top step as six white Rolls Royces pulled up in front of the chateau. Jacques grabbed her hand and squeezed it lightly. At least, based on Jacques's reaction to news of his mother's arrival, she didn't need to worry about impressing the matron. She had half a mind to tell the woman off for abandoning her children. She didn't want to reopen old wounds, though. For Jacques's sake, she'd keep her peace.

Grace and serenity, Maya. You can do it.

A woman in her late fifties stepped from the back of the first car after the chauffeur opened the door. She was immaculately dressed head to toe in Chanel. Her dark hair was swept up in an elegant chignon, and oversized sunglasses hid her eyes. Other people began spilling from the cars. Even if they were couples, the new arrivals would need way more than four bedrooms. Maya gritted her teeth. Maybe they weren't all staying.