Chapter 17

It was two a.m. before the last guests left and those who were staying overnight were shown to their rooms. Maya was exhausted, but an electric energy pulsed through her body. After the encounter with Jacques's mother in the sitting room, he'd appeared and whisked her away. But he was different, more remote. His kisses had been hard and he'd held her a little too tightly as they danced. Had she overstepped the bounds somewhere? Sure, she'd pretended in her own mind that she was his wife; she'd just wanted to see what it would feel like to be his partner in life. But he hadn't worked out her game, had he?

Up in their bedroom, he poured himself a cognac and leaned against the doorframe as she removed her jewelry in the walk-in closet they now shared.

"What's wrong? Did I do something to upset you?" she asked as he continued to stare.

"What did you mean when you told my mother you'd never be my second wife?"

Because I want to be your last wife. Except she couldn't tell him that. She couldn't say she loved him or ask him to say it to her. There was still so much he didn't know, and she didn't want him to have said things he'd regret when he found out. Tomorrow, after his mother left, she'd tell him everything. If he didn't take the news well, she wasn't going to give Audette Michaud the satisfaction of hearing them break up. Or seeing her cry. This had the potential to rip her heart to shreds.

To hide her insecurity, she went on the offensive. "God, next time I make an agreement with you I'm going to put it in writing. No love, remember? It was point one I recall. I know you think love shouldn't be a part of marriage, but I do. I won't marry a man I don't love. Or one who doesn't love me. So that kind of disqualifies me from becoming your second, third, or fourth wife. Besides, I wasn't going to play whatever mind games your mother had planned."

He slung back his drink, put the glass on the dresser, and then advanced on her. Their gazes met in the full-length mirror. "I remember exactly what we agreed. But there are only five days left in our initial term. And I will be dictating the articles this time."

She caught her breath at the intensity in his eyes. Was he upset because he didn't think she wanted him? That was easily fixed. "Will you be wearing a negligee to negotiate? Because I've got one I haven't worn yet. I could give it to you."

The corner of his mouth twitched up. "No. I have my own ways to get what I want. Five days, Maya. You'd better think long and hard about what you want. Because this will be our last agreement."

That wasn't difficult. She wanted him. She wanted his love. Those two things were non-negotiable; everything else was filler. "I better make full use of the time I have left while the terms are in my favor. Can you help me with the zipper on my dress? It's a bit stiff and hard to manage on my own."

"You could have asked me to help." But instead of undoing the fastener, he pulled her against him, her back to his chest. His lips moved from her ear down her neck to her shoulder, one hand cupping her breast, the other across her stomach.

"Yeah, right. For you zippers only go in one direction—down." He alternated between nipping the cord of her neck with his teeth and soothing the sting with his tongue. The hand at her breast had slipped inside the fabric and he toyed with her nipple. Seriously, she was about to ignite. If he didn't get this damn dress off her soon, she'd set it on fire.

His lips moved to her ear. "It is more enjoyable helping you out of your clothes. This is a beautiful gown, though. Where'd you get it?"

"It was my Gran-Gran's. She wore it the night she got engaged to your grandfather."

His head lifted at that and he scrutinized her reflection again. "Did Grand-Papa recognize it?"

"Yes. He said he was glad to see it again on someone he loved."