bokuto || owl see you later.

[i have an owl plush and their name is bokuto-san and it's adorable fight me]

--

you had good intentions when you signed up as a residence advisor. it was counted as community service, believe it or not, and you didn't mind, and you were known for being rather cool. (as long as it wasn't majorly illegal, you let a lot of things slide.) there were a grand total of 4 RA's, two boys and another girl and you, and you and her had been assigned the boys rooms. the boys didn't understand that no girls actually didn't have underwear fights and there were never any naked girls. the closest you'd get was three day old sweatpants and too big shirts with no bras on.

you didn't mind too much, a lot of students had stuff to hide, and they knew to actually...hide it if they wanted it hidden, but your lips pursed as you stopped outside the infamous door. you knew whose room it was because everyone knew the duo inside. akaashi keiji was quiet and reserved, not the problem as he did not bother himself with anyone else's business, his roommate however, was the biggest dork and the most childish boy you had ever known.

bokuto koutarou.

you had a crush on him, that much was obvious because whenever he was around you went too red in the face and he laughed a bit too much and he had a weird obsession with the cacti you always seemed to be carrying around (plants were allowed in the dorms, so your room was full of them). you knocked softly, hands winding behind your back and cheeks prematurely red, and you waited patiently. however, when the ear piercing scream rang out, you didn't hesitate to open the door, there should have been a reasonable explanation to why bokuto was screaming, right?

there wasn't though.

you opened the door and instantly dropped to your knees, the door shutting behind you and your hands went to you head because something was flying and you didn't have time to register anything else because bokuto was in nothing but his boxers. "fukurou!" he shouted whipping around and ohmygod it was an owl.

why were you not more surprised.
you should have been more surprised.

the owl landed safely among the mess that was bokuto hair, and his face was red and you stood with shaking hands clenched at your sides, even you voice failed you. "b-bokuto-san! t-that's an o-owl!" you stated, eyes too wide, and his face mixed into one of horror.

he rushed to you, grabbing your arms and shaking you and you were trying really hard to not look at his chest because damn that was nice and you knew he played sports and his face was close to yours and you stopped breathing for a minute. "[f/n]-san!" he shouted, and his mouth seemed to be failing him because it kept opening and closing. "it isn't what it looks like?" he asked, and you sighed, swallowing hard.

"why do you have an o-owl?" you were kind of amazed, how the hell had he gotten that thing in without a single person noticing? "d-does akaashi-san know about this?"

"i haven't told him! you can't tell him!" secret pets hit a bit too close to home, and your hand reached out slowly, gently, to the top of his head where the owl seemed perfectly at home.

of course it was, it was in bokuto's hair, that was close to home as it would get on a college campus.

"what's their name?" you asked, and he seemed to light up, gold eyes too bright and you had to resist the urge to tell him how adorable he looked.

"it's fukurou! like my high school!" fukurodani, you had gone to nekoma, and you knew the previous captain and bokuto got into quite the trouble together. "it's a girl." he said with a bit of pride, and his hands were on his hips, grinning brightly.

his shoulders fell and his eyes went wide, and you were no strangers to bokuto's moods. "are...are you going to make me get rid of her?" he asked softly, and you swallowed as you shook your head slowly.

you stepped forward, and he seemed to be gauging your reaction. "can i like...touch her?" you asked, you had never seen an owl up close before, how the hell did he even find an owl? "you have an owl...that's, that's really really cool bokuto-san." his face exploded in a mess of red embarassment.

he nodded, offering his palm and the owl climbed on and he set her on the floor and you crouched down in front of her. he followed the action, still shirtless. "she's a horned owl."

"she's pretty." you knew owls tended to bite, so your hand was gentle and steady, and when you pressed your top two fingers to her head, she blinked wildly and her feathers ruffled. "where did you find her?"

he seemed too excited, to be talking about his owl with you. "i found her in the back of the school by a tree back in the first semester, she had a broken wing."

your heart stopped, you had checked this room four times since then. "where do you keep her?"

his face lit up, and he grinned triumphantly. "kuroo has to hide his and kenma's cat so when the RA's come by, he texts me and i put her in the closet."

wait a second, kuroo and kenma had a cat?

bokuto's eyes went too wide, hands slapping over his mouth as you stared between his owl and himself. "y-you won't tell anyone, will you? the...the cat is really for kenma, and k-kuroo tries really hard to keep him hidden! you can't take kenma's cat!"

you shook your head, and a small smile fell onto your lips as you curled your knees to your chest and continued to pet the owl. "i won't tell anyone, i promise." having a cat was cool, a standard thing but very difficult to hide, but an owl? you didn't know anyone with an owl. "ne, bokuto-san?" you asked, and his smile was bright because he was no doubt happy you would keep the secret. you held out your pinky, and his eyes widened, locking it with your own and you felt heat bloom in your chest.

"i have hermit crabs." you said softly, and his face was one of amazement and shock and everything that was good with one bokuto koutarou.
"you have to show me [f/n]-san!"

"maybe you should put on a shirt first."

"but i thought you liked my chest? that's what kuroo said when he saw you watching our volleyball practice!"

your face went too red, and he laughed, leaning forward and pressing his lips to your cheek. he pulled back and his cheeks were red and his hair was half styled and he knew you had been staring at him, and had been watching his practices, and you wanted to die from embarrassment.

"that doesn't have to be kept a secret though." he winked, and you could do nothing but give shaking smile.

he was more than impressed with your collection of seven hermit crabs you hid in the top drawer of your dresser, not even your dormmate knew about it.

it was the start of a beautiful relationship.