yamaguchi || the secret of shimada mart.

the first time he had walked into your brothers store, his face was red and he was embarrassed. he looked around, pointedly not looking at you, a being of too messy hair and thick thick glasses. "oh, i-is shimada-san here?." he stuttered out, and he seemed so awkward and you were trying not to laugh.
you knew this boy because you were in his class and he didn't really say much to anyone else other than the lamp post blonde. "um...which one?" you asked soflty, and his cheeks exploded in red and he seemed to be having problems.
"a...a...um, b-brother?" he squeaked out and your face went red because his was as well and you nodded.

you gestured to the back door, pressing your lips into a fine line to try and stop from smiling. "y-yes, he's out back." you took a step to the side, about to lead him but you caught a crate and stumbled, grabbing onto the counter and he rushed to you. "I-I'm fine." your hands wound into your apron and you ducked your head past the break room and opened the back door, letting out a strangled sound as a ball hit the wall right beside your head.

"(f/n)!" your brother yelled, and you pushed up your glasses as you braved to open the door. "are you alright?"
"yamaguchi-kun is h-here to see you." you held open the door and the boy was red in the face and your older brother smiled brightly.

when your older sister came back, you went upstairs to study, and as you would do the the next few weeks, you watched as yamaguchi tadashi did nothing but practice.

when yamaguchi stopped beside your desk, it made you jump and he seemed awkward as he coughed and his hands were clutching tightly to his pants. "y-your brother said you usually use the back...the back of the store on the w-weekends, and um..." you should see tsukishima in the background, snickering behind his hand. "I-is it alright if we p-practice tomorrow?" you painted on the weekends, usually, there were crates back there and your brother had moved them under the old tree in the corner so you had a place out of the sun to sit with your sketchbook and sometimes your nephew would bring his friends for a place to play.
it wouldn't be the first time, and from what you had seen, yamaguchi was learning your brother's float serve, and you knew that wasn't very dangerous. "um...sure, I usually just s-sit in the back? y-you're free to use it if you'd like. you may h-have to make a d-deal with my nephew if h-he's there." you said softly, and his face was red and he said it was fine and thank you in the same breath while rubbing the back of his neck and tsukishima's fake laughter rang out when yamaguchi tripped and then scurried off.

so saturday morning you tucked your sketchbook and oils under your arm, walking outside and yamaguchi was there, having been there since earlier in the morning and your brother waved when you set your stuff down on the crates. you watched them for some time, the air was still hot outside and it was nice, a light breeze and puffy white clouds overhead. after awhile, fingers dirtied in colours of oil pastels, you leaned back and fixed your hat, watching the clouds pass.

it was nice out, and you were never one to not bask in the sun on a nice breezy day.

"(f/n)! will you set for us?" you looked up, and there were more than just your brother and yamaguchi, but a few others from the neighbourhood association. you nodded, shrugging your shoulders and setting your hat off to the side as you walked, hair pushed back because it was warm. mori, takinoue and ukai were there, and you gave a small and gentle wave.
"(f-f/n)-san?" yamaguchi said as you took the position next to your brother, the other side laughing and saying hello to their 'painting prince(ss)'. ukai only gave you a smirk when you locked your hands in front of you, a nervous gesture he picked up along with your reddened face.

yamaguchi's serve didn't quite make it over, the toss a bit low and ukai saved it and you moved to the side of the net because you didn't play, you only really set. the ball landed in your hand and you tossed it up and it made a nice and even arch as yamaguchi jumped to spike it. it hit the floor and his smile was grand and he turned to you and your face went red. "I play sometimes." you said, and your brother laughed and ukai leaned forward on the other side of the net.
"sometimes? you set our spikes all the time when the association plays." your face went red and you stared down at your shoes and yamaguchi laughed.