Chapter 15

Scarlet watched Claudia silently, as she pinned a photo to the foam bullseye. "This is Muis." Claudia put emphasis on each word. Stepping so Scarlet to see, she found herself somewhat humored by the image. On the yellowed image was a rather large, older man. His white hair was pulled back into a ponytail, streaks of black throughout being the only sign left of his younger years. His lips were full, a cocky up-twist upon them but his nose tiny, a pair of tiny round spectacles resting at the tip. It might have been the wrinkles, or the natural slants of his eyes, but he appeared to have no sclera. Two black voids stared into her eyes. Claudia's finger striking the center of his forehead broke Scarlet from the trance. "This is the spot you want to aim. If you aim at him, you aim to kill. There's no excuses." Claudia quickly moved out of the aiming range, "Take a try at it."

Pulling a knife from her belt, Scarlet shook it gently in her hand. Claudia had surprised her that afternoon with her very own knives. They weren't new, but in an actable shape being they were an old set of Claudia's. For sure they were a step up from the rubber and wooden ones she had been using for the past few weeks. Since the King's revelation about the war nearly three days ago, Claudia and Pals had stepped up the intensity of the human's training. Not that Scarlet minded all that too much. It kept her mind off of the awkward situation with Renee. Scarlet had been willing to forgive Renee, that was the easy part. The hard part was trying to be as close as they were before it all. Scarlet no longer wish to confine in her friend, and thus had no one. She once again felt alone, more alone than she ever had.

Taking a stance, Scarlet licked her lips and took focus on the photo. Pulling her arm back, she released the knife to the photo, missing his forehead and hitting his second-chin. Spinning she moved further back, and repeated the process. She missed once more, hitting a fat cheek. She moved even further back, and threw her last knife. It hit Muis's forehead dead center, the impact creating a satisfying thump. "Good, you're getting better every day. Now get your knifes and do it again. This time, I want a running start. Starting back to front. After that, front to back." Scarlet nodded as she jogged to retrieve her knives.
~~~
"Scar!" Pausing at the door to the training room, Scarlet looked back just in time to see Renee coming over towards her. "You're going over to Theo's tomorrow right? For the testing and stuff?" Scarlet briefly nodded her head. "I um, I talked to the King this afternoon and he said if we take Vern with us then we could go to the market tomorrow. I was thinking, we could go, you know after. If you want." Scarlet could tell that Renee was biting the inside of her cheek, a nervous habit. Scarlet looked away, before looking back and nodding her head. Renee gave a relief smile. "Thanks. I'll see you in the morning." Nodding goodbye, Scarlet left the training room.

~~~

I had a strange dream last night. I think it was a possible image of the future. Before I really mastered my powers, the best way for me to get an image of what has been or might be was to go to sleep. They're not common anymore, but I can still get them. In this dream I stood outside, towering cliff covered mountains behind me and rolling hills to my front. What should have been beautiful was over shadowed by the looming fear and tenseness in the air. There was a shutter, and suddenly I was surrounded by a battle. A war.

Looking around, I met a pair of black voids that felt as if they were seeing to my inner core. The man gave a wicked glee, as there was an explosion. The ground around me shook and looking back to where the man's eyes had moved, I turned just in time to watch pieces of the mountains cliffs fell. The warriors scattered, one dressed in slightly darker armor standing out to me as he helped an injured woman. She hobbled, having clearly hurt her foot and held a hand to her shoulder. His armor was missing a large piece from the chest plate, and his helmet had been abandoned. Turning back to the man, he had raised a bow with an arrow ready to fire. The arrow went flying through the air. I'm not sure who it was meant for, but the man pushed the woman to the ground. He took the hit, falling to the ground. The woman, on only her knees, pulled a knife and sent it towards the man on the horse.