Chapter 19

Sticking her head out the open window, Scarlet smiled. Her whole body shook both from excitement and nervousness. The car she rode in turned into the field where the King's airship waited for them, another one taking off over her head as they did. Her grip on the window's seal grew tight, and she smiled as the great beast shadowed her. Her head followed it, and watched it until the car came to a stop. Unable, and not all too willing to wait, she opened her own door and hopped out. Taking a few steps, Scarlet then stopped, and took in the airship in front of her. It was so large, easily two-times the size of a real ship, and the balloon that lifted it into the air looked as if it could fit a whole town in it. Workers rushed from the cars to the lower dock ramps, like ants. "It's amazing, isn't it?" Scarlet nodded, glancing over to Renee as she pulled her small tote from the back seat.

I can't believe we're going to be on it.

Renee nodded, "I know." Renee glanced to Scarlet, before returning her gaze back to the ship. "You nervous?" Though she was, to the deepest part of her core, Scarlet shook her head no. "I am... I've never been more than three thousand yards from one, and now we are to travel in one. The King's at that." Scarlet, who had turned back to the ship, gently took Renee's hand in her own. Squeezing it, the two then begun towards the upper deck ramp. Releasing her hand as they came upon the opened door, Scarlet took the moment to pause. Turning, she looked out to Drale. The sun rose up behind it, the city slowly coming to life. "You coming?" Renee's hand on her shoulder pulled Scarlet from the city view. She nodded, and headed into the ship.

Upon entering, and going through a second set of doors, the two walked straight into a well sized opened area that looked as if it could be a living area of some sort. In the center of the room was pot-belly fire place, though Scarlet had been under the impression that anything fire-burning was strictly forbidden. One side of the pot belly was circled by a couch, a few chairs; the other side sat a chess table- clearly a favorite of the King's. Throughout the rest of the room were low bookcases all filled with a variety of entertainment. Over all, it all seemed fit for a King. "Ah, here you are." The King stepped into the room from the far left hall way, smiling at the two humans. "I was wondering when you would both board. Come, let me explain the ship to you all." Motioning for them to step closer to the pot belly, they did. "This is the common room, you can read, play board games, enjoy the view or just sit by the fire. The Great Adventure is one of the three airships in the world to have a burning fireplace. Now the hall to the left that I came out of leads to my stateroom, the captain's cabin and has a stairway to the flight deck above us. Below us, all our luggage is stored, the engine is in the back and there are a few rooms for the ship mates on board. Above us is the bridge, where the ship is steered, the Captain's office, the Kitchen and a few more sleeping quarters." The King begun to move towards the hall on their right, the two girls following after without needing to be told. "Now this hall leads into the dining area and where you both will be sleeping." Pointing into the only opened door way, both girls were able to peek in and view the small table for five. Moving on deeper into the hall, the King motioned to a set of spaced out doors to Scarlet's left. "These are the sleeping rooms here, they are not big, but they need not to be. Across from each door is a private sitting room; that you are free to use on our journey. This is Renee's room." Pulling a key from his pocket, the King handed it to Renee. She opened her door, stepping it. "Your room is down here Scarlet." Before Scarlet could be nosey, the King had moved a few doors down and now held a golden key out towards her. She took it, thanking him.

Unlocking the door, Scarlet stepped into her room. It was indeed tiny compared to her room in the mansion. To her right was a single bed, the left a small desk with a vanity mirror hanging over it. To each side was a built in wardrobe. The window sat in a small nook, a cushion creating a seat beneath it. Despite it's cozy size, the room was still grander than anything Scarlet had ever felt she deserved. "I took a guess that you would not want to be right next to Renee." Scarlet spun to face the King, confused to how he would know how rocky her relationship was with her friend. Before she could ask, the King answered her. "The maids tend to know everything, and I hear it all whether I wish to or not." She frowned, and upon seeing it the King smiled. He laughed, as her frown deepened. "Do not worry, they are harmless. Their lives are dull and they merely wish to spice it up a bit." Though Scarlet thought it was not possible, the frown grew deeper. The King, upon seeing her falling mood, frowned himself. Coming into the room he reached out and ran a cool thumb over her forehead. "You shouldn't frown, I don't like it." Scarlet's frown softened at this confession, and her heart rate picked up. Her eyes fell to his lips for just a moment, before Scarlet casted them away. The urge, the need as air is to her lung, to have their mouths together was over powering her once more. All from a simple, gentle, touch. The King fell back a step, going back into the doorway. "Please remain in one of your rooms until we lift off. I'll tell Renee this also, it's safest to be sitting." The King cleared his throat, standing silently in her door way for a few moments. "I shall see you at dinner."