chapter 25 Masquerade ball

The night was little less than a scandal. The debutantes flooded the ballroom in beautiful gowns and masks, The masquerade ball was the time people's imaginations would run free. Most had dressed like a princess many like a angel but josoline had spend three days contemplating on what was proper enough to wear and she finally had given in to the idea of the scandalous attire . Becka thought her mad, Ruth and Mari thought her brave but josoline just wanted to not be her tonight . The stress of marriage and not receiving word from her family and thier state was equally distrubing her.

When she entered the ball many looked at her, though many weren't present because it was invitation only so tonight she was alone with Ethan on her wrist. When he had met her that night his mouth feel open because he had wondered if this was josoline ..his josoline.

Her blood red non traditional dress swayed across the floor, her beautiful silk hair let lose her eye blazing behind the mask that was also red, Her lips matched.

As they swayed across the room to stand next to the food table people stared women smirked and whispered and men lust.

A small smiled played across her lips as she felt Ethan's eye on her " what is it Duke Ethan?" She asked turning to face him.

" I must say I'm just having inappropriate thoughts " he whispered with a blush.

She chuckled as he handed her the wine glass," tis nothing to be afraid of Ethan ." she said taking a sip, " and after all I will become your wife soon" She said boldly surprising even herself.

She felt as if someone else spoke through her. She had been repeating that in her mind for the pass two days and ever morning she woke she prayed Leo would only be a distant memory but who was she fooling but herself, this would take years to forget all the pain and suffering she felt inside and worst of all she'd have to watch him because after all he and Ethan are family.

"Duke?" She called and he looked down at her, he was watching and listening to the musicians.

" yes my sweet" he answered sweetly.

" Do you think that we we'll be happy in marriage? " She didn't even know where that question came from but she just felt the need to ask.

" I do think so" He Replied with a smile.

Oh may the heavens bless her soul she thought all the guilt of Leo came flooding back. She looked at Ethan his hair neatly comb back , the suit he wore was blue with his family Crest on the chest . He looked handsome and even though he wasn't the man she loved he would make her happy one day.

" I'm still awaiting that dance" she said smiling up at him.

His eyes found her face and he grinned " whenever you are ready "

" oh-" she started.

She was cut off by the royal fanfares as they Entered every one showed reverence, the woman crusty and nobles dipped ..

When josoline looked up she had seen the royal family in all there perfect glory. Leo who wore only black with the royal crest on his chest and his hair in a cute mess that she loved. His face covered with a black mask. She admired him in secret , her eyes flowed him as he took each step.

Theo who looked dashing in his royal blue had clearly had ask Celia to be his company tonight. A small smile played across her lips at that Drusilla was left in the cold.

Then she noticed not far behind stood her majesty princess Serena in white, if josoline could only admit out loud that she looked like a angel. As she watched them neared the dance floor and the king and queen took there seats, they danced slowly and the way she grinned up at him broke her even more.