Chapter Ten: The Other Side of Me

I put my pencil down and stare at my final project, glancing through the lines and curves. I was to explain myself and my connection to Darkani in the English alphabet and give it to Madeline this afternoon at the final meeting. I had to make sure i gave it to her secretly so the SPC wouldn't find out about it. Apparently, when you arrive on Darkani, your ability to write English turns to the ability to write Angelic Writing. That's why no one knows about the English alphabet. Well, except Madeline of course. I pick up the notebook and start to proofread.

Someone knocks at my door. "You can come in!" I say as I stuff the notebook and textbook under my pillow and pull out the SPC notebook. The door opens and Michael's walks into the room.

"Hey, Bella. You ready to go?" He asks.

I look at the clock. "Is it time to go already?" I murmur as I look at the notebook.

Michael smiles and sits on my paint stool and look at my easel. He traces his fingers on the rough paint edges. "Is this new?"

I nod. "Yes. It's somewhat of a copy of a painting I've seen before." I say as I look at the painting. It's me. I am sitting by a lake with a white flower in my hand. The black eyes of a Dark Angel are replaced by the blue eyes of a human. I am wearing the loose open back dress from the other painting but instead of wings coming out of my back, tattoos of what I don't have cover my back with intricate designs. Subtle clear tears replace the dark grays one I saw on the girl.

"It's really nice." He responds. "I just hope that you have been studying as well. This project is no joke, Bella."

I push my hands into my mattress. "I know. I just like taking a break from learning how be something that I was never taught to be." I sigh. "Can't we do this when I'm a Major?"

Michael shakes his head. "We have been pushing this for far too long. I'm surprised that the government hasn't found out yet." He furrows his eyebrows. "And if they do know, they haven't confronted us about it yet. The sooner you're off this planet, the better."

I shake my head. "How do we even know this is going to work?"

Michael smiles. "We don't. If this doesn't work, then there is nothing to really worry about. We won't abandon the project. We might try again when you are older, but nothing awful will come of you, that I guarantee."

I go to my window and push my hair behind my ear. I look through the glass at the sky above. "We are just alone out here. There's not that many of us compared to the number of humans on Earth. There are seven continents and many bodies of water on Earth and we are just one rock and a couple lakes. We are so barren and the humans have culture and color and things that make them happy." I look at the fountain. "Why aren't we like that?"

"Oh but we are like that." He responds as he gets up and walks to me. "With the help of Victoria and the power of the Dark Angels, we have built so much. We might not have as much as Earth, but it's enough for us." His face grows dark. "The Creator gave Victoria nothing to work with. She did her best to keep herself going and to make her vision a reality. Darkani probably used up what she had in terms of power, but she did it for us, this race." He smiles. "Here, I have something to give you."

I turn around and Michael kneels to my height. He takes a small white box out of his pocket and goes it to me. "Your mother wanted me to give this to you. I gave it to her the day we got Madison and now she wants to give it to you to remind you of where you grew up."

I open the box and smile. It is a thin necklace with a silver chain. The accent piece is a small Drametyl diamond in the shape of a teardrop. I hold it to the window and it glistens with grey light. "It's beautiful."