chapter six

CHAPTER SIX

ROBBIE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT to expect upstairs in the large shed, but it especially wasn't to find other people. An Indian lady with a large belly sat on a makeshift couch, like Delia's bed downstairs. There's a girl about his age sitting next to her, rubbing the woman's stomach and giggling to herself.

They both pause when they realize he's standing at the top of the stairs, unsure whether or not to pursue. Surely these are nice people. Robbie didn't think the kind vampire would save the bad guys, and he didn't think the vampire is a bad guy. If he is, why had he saved Delia?

"Hello," says the Indian lady with a gentle smile. "Did he rescue you too?"

Robbie offers a single nod of acknowledgement, but he's frowning while being deep in thought. No way is the vampire a bad guy. Not if this lady is implying he saved the both of them. Is he so lucky that he found someone to protect him?

He doesn't let his thoughts get too hopeful. He used to think his sister and him were safe in their camp with their uncles and aunts. It had been nearly the whole family holed up together in a rundown apartment not far from this neighborhood. Things were smooth and he was happy and he was hopeful.

And then the treacherous gangs struck. A big lot of them with pistols and sharp knives, threatening his family out of the place. His family had begun to fight back, but the commotion caught the attention of the beasts lurking close by and...

He shut his brain off. There's no need to relive the rest.

The Indian lady's voice brings him back to the present. "I'm Nivedita, but you may call be Nive."

"Ne-vay," repeats Robbie slowly.

She chuckles and bobs her head approvingly. "And this is Sasha," she says, placing her hand on the girl's head.

The girl had dark hair but bright brown eyes. She gives Robbie a sheepish smile and a small wave.

Robbie doesn't have time to return it before he hears Delia scream.

He covers his ears and pinches his eyes shut. Poppy whines and wiggles in between his ankles. His hands can't block out her piercing scream, though. It rattles every bone in his body, send chills down his spine. He can practically feel the agony she's experiencing because of how brutal the scream is.

When Delia quiets down after a long few minutes, Robbie realizes he's crying. He hadn't meant to, hadn't even felt wetness on his cheeks. Sasha is crying too, he notices, and even Nive looks very stricken. She's rubbing her big belly and pulling Sasha close with the other arm. She closes her eyes and whispers something under her breath. Robbie thinks she's praying, but the words don't make sense to him.

"What happened to the poor girl?" she asks in a soft tone, peering over at him.

"A vampire threw a branch really fast, and it went through her thigh," he says, swallowing roughly.

Nive frowns, but somehow looks amused. "Vampire?"

Robbie nods. "That's what they are. Haven't you seen their teeth and their red eyes?"

"I have, unfortunately."

"See, they're vampires."

"Whatever you say." She smiles. Robbie likes her smile. She reminds him of his mother with her sweet eyes and smile. He misses his mom a lot.

"I'm Robbie," he tells them, sitting down and crossing his legs. "This is Poppy." The pup climbs onto his lap and curls up.

Sasha looks at Robbie timidly. "May I pet her?"