epilogue

EPILOGUE

HARRY GROWLS AS TWO experiments push him roughly into the bed of a truck. Aces and Spades are thrown into the bed soon after, the twins cowering close together. A few experiments playing guard climb in as well, eyeing the three of them closely. One whistles to the driver, a scared teenager that sits behind the wheel, gulping audibly whenever an experiment looks remotely close to him. He starts the truck instantly, taking off at an easy pace.

Thick, heavy chains are bound around Harry's wrists. Thick and heavy enough so he can't subtly snap them off, and would actually have to apply effort in freeing himself. As if he'd be so stupid. He knows how to spot an opportunity, and this certainly isn't one. There's a hoard of experiments running after the truck, nudging and shoving each other playfully as if they are children playing a game.

Harry wants to apologize to Aces and Spades, but he doesn't want to give the two any more humiliation. They both meet his gaze, and he gives each of them a long look with hopes that they understand. One gives him a curt nod while the other glances around cautiously.

Micah is one of the runners, but he picks up his pace and jumps onto the tailgate, an arrogant grin on his face. "I think you'll be quite impressed with what I've established."

Harry clenches his teeth and glares at the metal beneath his feet.

"Ah, the silent treatment. Surely you've come up with something else by now. No matter, the ride should be quick."

Quick indeed.

Hardly a couple minutes after Micah says that, the truck slows down then comes to an abrupt stop on the side of the road. Harry dares a peek up, only to find that the building is unrecognizable. It's huge nonetheless, stretching out down the road and around the corner, multiple buildings occupying the space, almost in perfect rows. Some have been vandalized while others sit untouched. Some of the grass is still green while the rest is yellow and dry.

The same two experiments that shoved him in haul him out, gripping either of his upper arms. They aren't so rough this time, but they don't exactly drag him gently. Micah leads, rattling on about how he found this land with inhabitants but easily ridded of them. He speaks of the various rooms he learned are called "classrooms," and what each of them have to offer. Harry doesn't listen. He doesn't care.

Harry is led inside one of the larger buildings, down a long corridor, to a wooden door with three experiments guarding it. Harry can't help but raise his eyebrows, a little intrigued as to whatever mystery Micah is hiding that requires constant supervision.

Micah snaps at the guards, and one of them pushes the door open. Micah turns to Harry without walking any further. "I would love to be here for introductions, but quite frankly, I did promise to save your little pet. Anyways, introductions won't be needed. Oh, but I do wish I could see the look on your face."

Without another word, Micah spins on his heel and saunters away.

Harry lets out a breath of relief--he's saving Evelyn, or so he says--but his relief is cut short when the rest of Micah's words catch up to him. Why on earth would he want to hang around for a reaction? And what kind of reaction did he expect? What is he hiding?

Harry is about to find out.

The two guards shove him inside, the door slamming immediately after. He wonders if these are individual cells. Where are they taking Aces and Spades?

"By God, you really are alive."

Harry stiffens, his entire body freezing as the voice strikes memory after memory after memory. He doesn't want to look up, doesn't want to face the truth. It shouldn't be. It can't be. Harry watched him die. He watched his body be dragged away. His limp, lifeless, motionless body. It's impossible that he's here. Harry must be imagining it. He doesn't know why or how, but he simply must be having a nightmare.