Four

Today was May 2nd. That day didn't really have much significance to most people but May 2nd was Astrid birthday. She was turning 17.

Her mother, as usual had left early, even on her birthday. The only difrence had been that she'd left £20 under a bowl in the kitchen.

Astrid glared at herself in the mirror. It was a cheap one, literally just a shard of glass. But Astrid thought it had character.

It had taken a little time to adjust to the movement of house but she had grown acustomed to the slanting cealing of her attic room. (Though in the beginning she was banging her head almost ever other minute).

She had painted the walls a plane white but then, sprayed paint on top.

Her mother called it graffiti.

Jay called it artwork.

She smiled, wondering if he'd remembered what day it was. Not that he ever forgot, but she didn't draw atention to the day.

She pulled a grey hoddie over a green and blue shirt and black jeans, and walked downstairs to grab the money and some shoes.

Stuffing the purple note in her pocket she tugged on some faded converse and walked out the house.

Sudenly someone grabed her from behind and covered her mouth with there hand. "Suprise," a voice wispered in her ear, she relaxed instantly.

"Jay! That is not funny this early in the morning."

He smiled his crooked smile. "But it's a special day today." Abruptly picking her up and spinning around "It's your birthday!!"

"Jay!" She laughed "put me down you moron."

He placed her gently on the ground and chuckled "come on let's get going." He dragged her off to the left.

"Um Jay, isn't school that way?"

"Yep!"

"Then why are we going this way?"

He laughed, "Trid, it's your birthday, we are not going to school. And it's Friday, and you have french on Friday."

Astrid knew he had a point, she hated french. "We can't just miss school," she whined.

"Yeah we can."

"Ugg, I hate you."

"You love me."

She nodded "Yeah I do," more than he relised.

●■●■●

Astrid and Jay had been walking for around twenty minutes, and she asumed that they were heading towards a diner they visited often.

As kids they would always go after school, when Astrid's mother was at work. It was a small restaurant, but the staff were friendly and the old lady who ran it was a bubbly old dear, running around far to much for her age.

Astrid was right, and soon she could see the blue sign of the café. She smiled at Jay "Oh I love this place," she remarked.

"I know," He replied with a shy smile.

Shy? Jay was never shy, though he didn't express much emotion around people other than her, he was never less than slightly wary.

He smiled sheepishly, "I booked a table."

Astrid raised an eyebrow then grinned, "Thank you."