Chapter 19 - He stopped loving her today

“This is so good.” Mary Ann said taking a bite of the chicken. “Thank you, I will teach you if you want.” Anna said offering her more. “So when are you leaving Josh?” Anna asked Josh who was enjoying the evening, until now. He felt uneasy, he glanced at Mary who was smiling, and he was relieved. “Day after tomorrow, I guess.” He said trying to end the conversation. “Well you have to come back in June, you know why right?” Anna said looking at Mary. Mary’s heart stopped, she was sweating, and she felt as if she was choking on the chicken. Josh felt confused, did he miss something, and he glanced at Mary who was not looking well. “What’s in June?” He asked, clueless. Mary wanted to run, hide or stab herself to death. Her legs were shivering, so were her hands. She left the spoon which was shivering with her and making a clinging sound on the china plate. Anna looked at Mary and said “You didn’t tell him?” She looked and Josh and continued “Mary is getting married in June.” She said smiling. Josh froze; he saw Mary was frozen too. He couldn’t understand what to feel. He felt angry, sad and confused at the same time. “Is that true?” He asked staring at Mary, who was looking down at her plate. Before Mary could speak Anna did “Yeah, I can’t believe you didn’t tell him.”

Nobody spoke anymore. Josh stuffed the food on his plate, in a few gulps. “I have to send an urgent mail, I just remembered.” He said as he excused himself. He rushed upstairs and Mary chewed her food for the 56th time.

Mary helped Anna with clearing the table. Anna was pouring all of them coffee when Mary asked pointing to a cup of coffee “Shall I go and give this to Josh?” Anna nodded and Mary took the cup, and went upstairs.

Josh closed the door and sat on the bed. He held his head in his hands. Why would she do this? Why? He thought. His eyes were red with tears, when he heard a knock on the door.

She was shivering, she was blank. The cup and saucer in her hands was shaking too. She knocked on the door and took a deep breath. He flew opened the door and went inside. She could see his eyes were red with anger. She placed the coffee on the table as she came inside. He wasn’t packing, not a thing had been moved from the room. He sat on the bed and started at her. She was crying furiously. “You could have told me.” He said breaking the silence. Mary went near him and sat next to him. “I am sorry.” She said crying, barely audible. Josh didn’t wanted to be near her, he hated her for doing this. “Please leave.” He said in a slow controlled tone. Mary saw he was serious. “Please leave.” He said again, with anger. She didn’t move an inch. “I said leave.” He said staring hard at her. Mary saw his burning red eyes looking much older than he was. She got up, deciding to leave. She saw him the last time before leaving; he buried his head in his hands. She wanted to go and kiss him but she closed the door behind her, wiped her face, smiled and went down to Anna, Luke, Bella and Amy.

He couldn't sleep at night. The Southport air was making it hard for him to breath. His head was bursting with pain. He couldn't stay here anymore, not now. He flipped open his laptop and booked a ticket. 

“I thought you were leaving tomorrow.” Anna said as she saw Josh coming down the stairs with his bags. “I have to go, got work.” He said frowning.

He hugged Anna and Luke. He saw Bella who was crying. “I will come back baby.” He said kissing her cheeks. “I love you Uncle Josh.” She said between her sobs. “I love you too honey bunch.” He said squeezing her in his arms. “Take care of Mr Loopy.” He said and Bella nodded. He waved goodbye and moved to security check. He got on the plane, sat comfortable on his seat. He took a sigh of relief when the plane took off. He had left Southport and decided to leave all the memories behind as well. It was at night when the plane landed, he was where he belonged. He took a taxi and saw familiar streets all the way to his apartment. ‘Mary’ he decided to forget her forever, knowing he couldn’t.